Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think she might have it, or in the past had it and overcame it through music? She always goes around as someone that looks not like herself, hiding her true self like a cover up, and people always misunderstand and tease her.

Doesn't sound much different than us huh?

I heard rumors Michael Jackson had it yet he remained successful.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just shocked that people here who are so often judged badly by people who dont know you, are no better than them and are quick to judge others in a negative way.

Not liking the music is fine, i'm talking about judging a person.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
About her drug use: She said she doesn't get high anymore. She hinted that she still smokes weed, suggesting it's not really a hard drug, saying, "I don't do it very often. I am honest about it. I don't like or respect artists who lie about what they do recreationally. It builds a separation with your honesty with your fans." She said she doesn't remember the last time she did coke, but at one time, she was "for sure addicted." She said Papa Germanotta got her off the white stuff, and "kicked my ***. Not really. He just called me out." If you know anything about old fashioned Italian fathers … This should not be surprising. She also said the drugs were like a friend and she preferred to use alone in her apartment while she wrote music. "I regret every line I ever did, so to any of the little sweethearts listening, don't touch it, it's the devil!"

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But why did she start using drugs, that is the question. Was it the fame, was it stress, something else?

I have heard of people who know her and say she is actually a down to earth, smart person and does not like when people are judged on how they look. Does she have SA, that I have no idea about.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
She probably just has self esteem issues like many people in the world.

I watched a little bit of a documentary on her and she was crying before her performance and was saying how she still sometimes feels like that loser kid in school who everyone picks on or something like that.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Don't ask me about her man... I hate her oh so much, I don't even have a reason for hating her, I just do.

If she had SA, which I highly doubt, I'd be ashamed to have the same disorder as her...

lol, I don't even know....

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I think she does. She strikes me as someone with very low self esteem, who does crazy stuff to get attention.

Kind of like the loser kid who becomes a rock musician to get noticed, or dunks basketballs or something.

I can relate, because I started writing songs at age 13 to get noticed. And yes, people noticed me. And yes, I became popular. I wouldn't have made half the friends in high school that I did, had I not had a "cool musician image."

That being said, the meat dress was going way too far...

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
Threads like this make me wonder what you people think social anxiety disorder is.

Social anxiety disorder is an anxiety disorder characterized by intense fear in social situations[1] causing considerable distress and impaired ability to function in at least some parts of daily life.

If being a successful famous musician and pop icon isn't the antithesis of impaired social functioning, I don't know what is.

I watched her 60 Minutes interview, and I would say histrionic personality disorder would be a much more accurate diagnosis.

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
Im sure she has some kind of anxiety disorder. Im sure most "stars" we know and think are super partying and outgoing are actually really weird. Most people dont get there by being normal.

I mean, these celebrities have to appeal to the average person to get famous...because most people are just that, average and normal. Its their job to act outgoing.

·
pickles
532 Posts
Threads like this make me wonder what you people think social anxiety disorder is.

Social anxiety disorder is an anxiety disorder characterized by intense fear in social situations[1] causing considerable distress and impaired ability to function in at least some parts of daily life.

If being a successful famous musician and pop icon isn't the antithesis of impaired social functioning, I don't know what is.

I watched her 60 Minutes interview, and I would say histrionic personality disorder would be a much more accurate diagnosis.
I think most pop celebrities have this histrionic disorder. then..:eek:

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
I think most pop celebrities have this histrionic disorder. then..:eek:
Haha, yeah a lot of them probably do. Although, I get the feeling that it is more of an act with certain celebrities.

·
Registered
442 Posts
False.

There are several successful celebrities who have admitted to struggling with SA who have still gone on to lead amazing careers. Off the top of my head, there is: Kim Basinger, Barbara Streisand, Donny Osmond, Jonathan Knight, Tom Welling.

Outside the celebrity spectrum, people with SA have gone to have careers in fields that seem to defy the condition (in education, law, medicine, theater, and even public speaking).

A person can struggle with SA and still learn to function socially. They can completely overcome their SA, or just learn to manage it to a degree that allows them to complete their professional obligations in any field.

As for Lady Gaga, I'm not a 'fan' of hers in the strongest sense but I have seen an interview with her on MTV where she discussed her childhood and she never mentioned social anxiety. She did mention being bullied and harassed by classmates and this leading to low self-esteem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I can relate, because I started writing songs at age 13 to get noticed. And yes, people noticed me. And yes, I became popular. I wouldn't have made half the friends in high school that I did, had I not had a "cool musician image."
I did the whole comedian, class clown thing in my senior year of high school just wanting attention and trying to desperately mask my SA, which worked. Years later when I would tell old classmates of mine that I had serious SA, they seemed completely dumbfounded. Most didn't believe me and still don't believe me to this day.

There have been plenty of periods in my life where I can hide my SA so well, and other times where I let it consume me.

As a teacher, I would tell my students that being up in front of crowds was the scariest thing in the world for me and I remember one student saying, "But you're not nervous now?" And I looked around at this huge group of kids (we have 4 classes in there, approximately 100 students) and I said, "No, because I can control it and because I've learned to be comfortable with everyone here." And I just explained to them how certain fears and worries weren't rational and how it was all about control and mindset.

Anyway, I went through a horrible 2-3 years after that where I feel I hit rock bottom with my SA, and now (recently) I feel I'm back full force, working again, and feeling as creative and alive as ever. :)

·
jaynex10
1,529 Posts
False.

There are several successful celebrities who have admitted to struggling with SA who have still gone on to lead amazing careers. Off the top of my head, there is: Kim Basinger, Barbara Streisand, Donny Osmond, Jonathan Knight, Tom Welling.

Outside the celebrity spectrum, people with SA have gone to have careers in fields that seem to defy the condition (in education, law, medicine, theater, and even public speaking).

A person can struggle with SA and still learn to function socially. They can completely overcome their SA, or just learn to manage it to a degree that allows them to complete their professional obligations in any field.

As for Lady Gaga, I'm not a 'fan' of hers in the strongest sense but I have seen an interview with her on MTV where she discussed her childhood and she never mentioned social anxiety. She did mention being bullied and harassed by classmates and this leading to a low self-esteem.
You're right, the difference is, all the people you mentioned differ greatly in personality from Lady Gaga. Perhaps I worded my previous post poorly. I'm saying the attention seeking shock-diva (Gaga, Paris Hilton, Courtney Love) are the polar opposite of what I think of when I think of SA.

As for the bullying and low self-esteem thing, it could be true (not everyone who is bullied or has low self-esteem has SA), but it could also be a marketing ploy to ingratiate her a little bit more to her fans (I know, I'm really cynical).

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm saying the attention seeking shock-diva (Gaga, Paris Hilton, Courtney Love) are the polar opposite of what I think of when I think of SA.
I see your point but I'm just not convinced that a person with SA or a person fully recovered from SA can't be prone to act out in attention seeking ways. As for the bullying, you may be right, it could all just be a fabrication.

Then again, with bullying being almost a staple in our education system, I can't say it would surprise me that she was bullied.

Hell, what tends to surprise me is when someone says they weren't bullied. I'm always like, "Really...? Like...never? :sus" And then I get all bitter and twitchy... ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.