Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lack of sleep and SA don't mix. I had a feeling they wouldn't go together, but I truly found out today. I had a huge loss of sleep last night and today was easily the worst day ive had in a month. The only good thing about today was is that ill be going to bed at 10 for the rest of my life lol. BTW coffee does not work. It may make you more awake, but for people that get tense and nervous more than depressed from SA, this stimulant will only make it worse.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the opposite response - not sleeping makes me too disoriented to care about how anxious I am. Sometimes I literally stumble around, but I'm so tired it doesn't matter to me. I think being wayyy tired improves my anxiety - I say whatever I want to because I'm too sleepy to care - but that's obviously not a viable treatment. It is kind of like being drunk, but without that absolute lack of control.

Were you up studying?
Same here.
I love that effect. Wish I could skip sleep altogethor.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the opposite response - not sleeping makes me too disoriented to care about how anxious I am. Sometimes I literally stumble around, but I'm so tired it doesn't matter to me. I think being wayyy tired improves my anxiety - I say whatever I want to because I'm too sleepy to care - but that's obviously not a viable treatment. It is kind of like being drunk, but without that absolute lack of control.

Were you up studying?
Exactly the same for me. I've been sick the past few days, and I was completely out of it on Wednesday. On that day, I was a lot more talkative than usual, despite my sore throat, because I just didn't care. Same happens with no sleep. After pulling an all-nighter, I do roughly the same thing, even walking infront of cars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hate having to stay up late and then get up early.

But I love the effects of it. You feel invincible, like in GTA after you take ecstasy. Its a unique experience. I wouldn't say my SAD symptoms enhance from it, though.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Lack of sleep makes me angry and depressed.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
^Me too. Protecting my sleep is number one. That starts with eliminating sugar, bread, and coffee ...for the umpteenth time :(

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I notice when i dont sleep well, im too distracted by being tired and groggy to worry as much about stuff. Im also probably a little irritable and coffee makes me jittery.

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
It can go either way for me. I struggle with insomnia. Somedays my sa feels worse and I am just more nervous and irritable, but somedays I find it easier to talk to people on little sleep. Yea, maybe its because I cant focus or think straight, so I am not as focused on others thoughts. Also, I cant have stimulants at all!!!!

·
Banned
175 Posts
I have struggled with insomnia since I was a child.

When it gets real bad and I do not sleep well for a few days I feel horrible and can hardly function or think clearly. My moods get extremely bad until I can get a good nights sleep. Insomnia has been a big problem with me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes this also tends to work for me. The later I stay up, the more loopy I get. I don't know if I would say lack of sleep though, because if I don't get enough sleep im usually just grumpy and my whole body feels like crap lol.

·
Banned
728 Posts
For me coping with anxiety in anxiety prone situations such as school, work, family ect...requires a great deal of energy. If I don't get enough sleep, I don't have that energy which only makes things worst.

And I've stopped coffee completely. I used to drink alot of it and loved it but realized it made my anxiety worst.

So yeah, I would agree with the OP.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Lack of sleep affects different people differently. While it is usually recommended to not sleep too little or too much if you have mood disorders, there is actually some proper evidence which supports that being sleep deprived improves anxiety. There are even some websites with restricted sleeping schedules built around this idea (sorry, I have no direct link to them though they should be straightforwrd to find using any search engine). Being sleep deprived can make anxiety worse too so I guess this just highlights how complicated SA is. No wonder researchers & scientists are having trouble finding medications with good success rate. I think we should break down SA into subtypes to treat it more effectively. Subtypes based on what? Probably neuroanatomy and physiology. I am 100% sure SA is not as homogenous a disorder as it is made out to be.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
Too little sleep affects me tremendously. My anxiety increases a lot. I get panicky and twitch more. I have hallucinations. It also drains me emotionally.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I started on Mirtazapine (antidepressant) recently. For several months I've been waking up in the night for an hour e.g. 4 am which is not normal for me. Since I changed meds I can sleep through the night again albeit only to about 7-8am. I get drowsy about 2 hours after taking it too.

·
Meow Meow Meow
141 Posts
My SA decreases a lot when I don't get much sleep because I'm too out of it to care much about anything. I get irritable, sluggish, can't focus, I tremble, get deja vu, and get annoying hallucinations.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I learned the hard way sleep is essential to good health (mental, emotional, physical). I used to get by on 4 hours a night for years, eventually it caught up to me. I function best 8-9 hrs, usually only average 6-7.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man, today was one of those days for me. I've been sleeping worse than normal for about a week now, but last night was by far the worst--I only got about 4 hours of good sleep I think. For me, my physical symptoms of anxiety decrease when I'm sleep deprived; my body is too tired to go into fight or flight, I think. My heart doesn't race; I don't sweat. That's pretty nice. However, if I'm really exhausted, my mood usually goes way down into the gutter, and the mental part of SA can get out of hand--the feelings of hopelessness, paranoia, etc. Like today, I was just soooo exhausted that I could barely put a sentence together, and I was just thinking "My God I appear so depressed and out of it to these people. They must think I'm...blah, blah, blah." On the whole, I need a lot of sleep to wage this battle against SA!

·
Registered
179 Posts
little sleep makes me extra tired in tha morning and im too tired to get up. but if i got a good amount of sleep i usually will feel very anxious and awake in the morning because my thoughts are racing about how scared i am to go to school. when i dont get enough sleep im just too tired to even think about anything else...all i think about it how im so tired...and in school i could just put my head down while everybody else is talking because im tired...instead of just looking in my purse or making like im doing somthing...like last night i fell asleep really early because i didn't want to deal with life anymore i needed my day to be over...but some days are worse then others and some times of the day are worse then others so its really hard to pin point anything ? does anyone else feel this way?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts