Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you deal with having no confidence in the workplace? I don't have much confidence in that I always check with someone to make sure I am giving the correct information before I give an answer. At my job, one of the coworkers' messed up a project so the whole department had to help out in order to get back on track. I was not able to help out with one of the tasks and she had to do it and she told me that I should have more confidence. Mind you, if it wasn't for her and her mistake, we wouldn't have had to help out so we all could get back on track but no one blamed her for her mistake because she is well liked by the supervisor. Then, the supervisor feels due to my lack of confidence that I am not competent to answer the phone even though I have answered the phone. The other 3 that work in the department, they all get along because they talk and have fun together throughout the day. I am the odd man out. So how would you deal with having no confidence in the workplace?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I don't know. It's something I need to work on too. Co-workers come to me to ask questions, but when it's a customer I don't feel as confident when answering.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Peach, how long have you been working at this specific place? Also, how much experience do you have doing your type of job?

I ask this because I've found confidence comes with time and repetition. I can give you lots of examples.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peach, how long have you been working at this specific place? Also, how much experience do you have doing your type of job?

I ask this because I've found confidence comes with time and repetition. I can give you lots of examples.
So far, I have been there a month. Another coworker has been there 2.5 months and has learned the job very quickly and the coworkers call her for advice even though she has been there for a short time. Yes, you are right, confidence does come with time and repetition, that is true. I have found though that because I am not as talkative as the others, people feel that I am not confident about what I am doing at the job.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know. It's something I need to work on too. Co-workers come to me to ask questions, but when it's a customer I don't feel as confident when answering.
I deal more with coworkers' and don't deal with customers at all directly. But dealing with coworkers is just as stressful if not moreso as dealing with the customers especially if you make a mistake, everyone will know about it so I try to do a good job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I struggle with this more often than not. I fear that i am not picking things up quickly enough and I wonder what the senior managers are thinking or saying behind my back. I feel insecure in my position at all times and I know I shouldn't. We need to believe in ourselves more and prove ourselves. That's what I'm working on and I pray to god that he watches over me through this process because it's hard to do alone. It's tough out there.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
You may have a similar aptitude to me in that you don't pick things up quickly but once you have picked it up, you're probably the most competent. Give it at least one year. Re-assess. If you feel more confident by then, no worries!

559 Posts
I guess as the saying goes, "You just have to fake it 'til you make it.", so to speak when it comes to how to gain confidence. Pretend to be confident and it will aid in you actually gaining it. Another good thing to do is constantly giving yourself positive reinforcements when in doubt or feeling insecure. I often tend to double guess myself at times especially in relation to work, and I just have to reassure myself that I know what I need to do and am competent enough to do it well. This helps a ton, especially as you see the positive outcomes of your efforts help you to realize that you are competent and have no reason to doubt yourself.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PEACHY: You're right! Of course I can!
LOL Humourless!!!! I am still at the job so I am doing the job although the other 3 women are much better at the job than I am probably because they have been there much longer. I hope to be as good as they are in time. The next couple of months will be very stressful for me because I have a week of workshops to attend and then the holidays arer coming and there will be social parties to attend throughout the month of december. So the end of this year will be challenging to say the least.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess as the saying goes, "You just have to fake it 'til you make it.", so to speak when it comes to how to gain confidence. Pretend to be confident and it will aid in you actually gaining it. Another good thing to do is constantly giving yourself positive reinforcements when in doubt or feeling insecure. I often tend to double guess myself at times especially in relation to work, and I just have to reassure myself that I know what I need to do and am competent enough to do it well. This helps a ton, especially as you see the positive outcomes of your efforts help you to realize that you are competent and have no reason to doubt yourself.
What you are saying is true Cynical Optimist, one of the coworker's said I need to have more confidence, I hate to feel like I know what I am doing when I am unsure of how to do things, I think it is better to ask questions and not make mistakes so someone else has to correct the mistakes I made. This same coworker made a mistake and someone else had to go back and corret her mistakes and we were behind for 2 hours because of that so I try to avoid making mistakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts