Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put 300 hours into skyrim when it came out and I just recently got kingdom of amalur, about 11 hours playtime so far. I feel that koa does almost everything better then skyrim. Even though skyrim will always look nicer with the mods, without mods koa looks better and a lot more vibrant. The quests seem more interesting. I actually want to gather plants and make potions and craft weapons, whereas I didnt in skyrim. lastly, the combat system is 100x times more polished and exciting then skyrim.

Does anyone feel the same way?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Kingdoms of Amalur is a sadly underrated game. I loved it though. It was written by RA Salvatore so maybe that is why. I think as a base game it is great,

One thing about Skyrim is that it has too many annoyances to enjoy fully without mods. I LOVE a modded SKyrim but the vanilla version is just too blah.

·
Banned
1,015 Posts
KoA has a much better combat system than Skyrim, but really that's nothing noteworthy considering it's third person action. That's where I'd end calling it a better game. Not that it's bad by any means, but Skyrim is much more polished and well designed.

What I like about KoA are the little things it fixed from similar titles, like showing exactly what the odds are of being caught when attempting to steal items, being able to see what a NPC is carrying when attempting to pickpocket before actually doing it, respecing at any point, etc.

The ultimate flaw with the game is that it's too easy, even on hard mode. You can easily break what little challenge there is to begin with by dumping points into blacksmithing or sagecraft and crafting uber gear that practically makes you a god early into the game. Other big flaws are the level design (not only is it too cartoony for my tastes, the entire world map is just big circular areas strewn about connected by narrow passes) which plays into another flaw, the level locking. When you travel into an area, the enemy levels are locked based on what your own level is, so if you grind up a few levels above an areas max, the enemies get locked at a level below you and are a total joke to fight.

All in all it's a fun game and worth $60 if you're into action RPGs, but it can get repetitive after a while, especially if you're intent on doing all of the buttload of sidequests. Not as well crafted as Skyrim though.

·
Sane
1,334 Posts
I started playing KoA last month, loved it for the first 10-15 hours, but tedium started to set in. I'm about 45-ish hours into the game now, still have some questlines to complete, but I'm struggling to find the willpower to play this game any more. The stories/quests, characters, lore/world, etc. are all pretty damn boring, unlike Skyrim, so I find it hard to get myself emotionally invested in any kind of way.

Combat is pretty good, though it gets repetitive. I'm playing as a rogue/mage hybrid class (currently Spellcloak), I've tried all of the different weapons, feablades, bows, staffs, chakrams, etc. but none of them feel particularly different from each other.

I'd have to say Skyrim (and the Elder Scrolls in general) is definitely a lot better, I put about 170 hours into Skyrim before finally getting bored. KoA feels pretty similar to TES, but that's one of the problems for me, I prefer games that feel like they don't really have any close comparisons to other games. Innovation is becoming increasingly rare in modern video games, and KoA doesn't do a single thing to stand against that.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Never played KOA, but I really want to. My ex-boss recommended it to me, but I never picked it up. So I can't really vote, but I will say Skyrim was fun while it lasted, after a while it bored me. I will never ever go back to a vanilla Skyrim again though. If Skyrim didn't have mods, I wouldn't even bother playing it today.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Two words...

Dragon's Dogma

You want good combat in an open world RPG? Look no further.

I thought KoA was ok. I was very impressed with the game, initially... The disaster that is Fable 3 likely had much to do with my initial appreciation of KoA.

I've always felt that Skyrim's combat was pretty lackluster. All it takes is for a player to play Skyrim in third person to really get a feel for how unrefined the combat really is. Frame of reference is no excuse. I loved Skyrim for a short while, though.

I expect Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3 to be pretty good.

·
In the middle of nowhere
1,079 Posts
I found skyrim to be drawn out and repetitive (I never played it with mods though so) KOA I've been interested in but never had the money or time to pick up... I really enjoyed Dragon age: origins though and the new one is supposed to be open world so I'm looking forward to that.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
there is really no depth to KOA. Once you start getting to endgame, it gets to pretty boring, with monster after monster. It could be made a bit harder. There is one quest bug in the game so save often.

·
In the middle of nowhere
1,079 Posts
I downloaded the demo for KOA yesterday, and it was so buggy I couldn't even play it. It's pretty sad when what's being demoed are the bugs in the game.

As for Skyrim, no matter what combination of mods or how much I mod that game, I can't stick with it. I keep getting bored with the combat.

So, my vote is neither, but I guess I'll go with Skryim because of KOA's buggy demo.

I remember enjoying Oblivion though.
Yeah I enjoyed Oblivion too.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I downloaded the demo for KOA yesterday, and it was so buggy I couldn't even play it. It's pretty sad when what's being demoed are the bugs in the game.

As for Skyrim, no matter what combination of mods or how much I mod that game, I can't stick with it. I keep getting bored with the combat.

So, my vote is neither, but I guess I'll go with Skryim because of KOA's buggy demo.

I remember enjoying Oblivion though.
I also think oblivion > koa + skyrim

Shame that the demo is so buggy, but koa being £5 or less right now on most sites is easily worth the price tag.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
16 hours in and I haven't played much the last couple days. I tried again today and was instantly hooked lol. I really like how the weapons actually feel different and unique, as opposed to feeling the same in skyrim.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I started playing KoA, but it was on console, and I don't really care. Now, if it's a turn based RPG, I'll play that on console all day long. But if it insists on being another elder scrolls action RPG clone, I'm gonna need a damn mouse, and a lot of quick saving.

·
Introvert
232 Posts
i think i prefer skyrim over koa just because i like mod support lots of dlc and content and bestheda games like fallout. Koa kinda leans toward linear imo. Combatwise koa is flashy and whatnot compared to skyrim. Dragons dogma is a meeeeeh , amazing at first but gets repetitive , traveling is boring.

·
Searching...
6,335 Posts
I own both, never beat either. I have ESO now though...

I loved some of R.A. Salvatore's work, at the same time loved Skyrim obviously enough to purchase ESO. Never seem to get enough time to enjoy these games, bah.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts