Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to start therapy at a new clinic and an intake person suggested that I might have Borderline Personality Disorder instead of SA. This just doesn't make sense to me based on a couple of websites I went to. (Or maybe they are just to vague)
I don't know. :stu
I saw the movie Girl Interrupted and I don't seem to have any of the traits that Winona Rider's character did. She had BPD in the movie. Not that means much.

Anyway, what is it a borderline between?

Thanx

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a dr suggest I might have that as well, and I did a lot of research. That said, I still don't know really how to explain it, lol. But check up online or at the library, I found a couple really helpful books - I wish I still had them, I would send them to you. I will look back into my blog and try to find the titles for you if you'd like.

Definitely - and most importantly - talk with a psych about it. Many disorders such as SA, Depression and SI can be linked to BPD but that doesn't mean you have it. And most Dr's will want to rule out everything else FIRST before making a diagnosis like that.

Sorry I'm really not much help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
PanicAttackJack said:
Anyway, what is it a borderline between?

Thanx
When the term Borderline Personality Disorder was coined it meant the disorder sat on the border between neurosis and psychosis. Psychiatry has since separated neurosis into depression and anxiety, but the name stayed with the disorder.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a flatmate with BPD. I don't think Winona Ryder's character in Girl Interrupted was anything like it.

As I recall, one of the key traits is that you swing from extremes in your perception of people - they're either the greatest person in the world, or they're horrible. You get horribly dependent on people and then drive them away.

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
I've been diagnosed as borderline. Still not sure exectly what it means but I think that's part of it. Not understanding anything especially yrself. There's the crazy mood swings. Things are either the greatest or the worst ever.. not much inbetween. There's the whole impulse control issue.

As I recall, one of the key traits is that you swing from extremes in your perception of people - they're either the greatest person in the world, or they're horrible. You get horribly dependent on people and then drive them away.
Yep totally that too. With me it's swings in my perception of everything, not just people. and yea while I love that movie, it didn't show borderline very well at all as I experience it. Don't think I'm being much help but well I don't understand myself :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was diagnosed as borderline early this year. it is definetely a confusing disorder which so many people do not understand.

characteristics i identify with are forming intense relationships. like msery said, u make friends really quickly and get really close to them and then somehow always manage to cause conflict which results in u losing a friend.

self harm behaviour is common and u tend to see things in black and white, like nothing in btwn.

hope it helps a bit, if u would like some more personal info, send me a private message.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
There is a near complete overlap between borderline and bipolar disorder. In clinical practice and in theory it takes a fine-toothed comb to even separate the two, and in many cases I don't think there is any division to be made.

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/borderline.htm

·
Registered
371 Posts
I identify with a lot of the Borderline traits apart from the self-harm which makes me think maybe I don't have it??? Who knows, I'm yet to be diagnosed but the mood swings, emptiness, hating/loving people I think is me all over. As the others have said, it is such a confusing 'disorder' and most of the books I've seen about it are actually directed at the people with the Borderline person in their life not the Borderline themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts