Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna ask my P-doc for Klonopin (i got Valium and Ativan before from another P-doc). I only want to take it PRN. That would be mostly 2 to 3 times a weak, sometimes more often, sometimes i might not need it for a week or so. How about tolerance and dependency when taking this way?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I asked this question about Ativan a few days ago, and the response was to keep PNR use of benzos to 2-3 times per week. So you should be fine.

·
Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fine. I hope I'll gonna get it. I've never asked this P-doc for benzos since I had/have so much Valium and Ativan stored but Klonopin shall be better for SA.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Klonopin has a longer half-life, but 2-3 days per week seems ok.

·
Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you say what dose should I take? I want to take it in extreme SA situations (but I wanna stay awake, haha).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Depends on your body weight and if you have build up any (lasting) benzo tolerance because of the previous Valium use. I think 1mg could work very well, but maybe you need 1.5mg or just 0.5mg, who knows, you have to try it out. You can combine it with Propranolol if you have severe physical symptoms of anxiety. It is an unselective beta blocker which crosses the blood brain barrier, very effective for eg. presentations.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
.5 mg might work right of the bat.doc's usually rx .5-1mg at a time.You may feel tired intially but the body usually adjusts to the amount as taken on a regular basis.

·
Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also thought about trying 1mg for the fist time. Oh man, I'd like to try amounts of meds. CBT is fine but sometimes meds are much better!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
0.5mg + propanolol is a good combination if you want to minimise the detrimental effect on mental function.

CBT is fine but sometimes meds are much better!
I think of meds as catalysts in recovery from SA, like enzymes are in biological reactions. Ultimately your thoughts are where you're going to win the battle, but CBT can be such an incredibly slow process sometimes that it can go on indefinitely. By adding a "positive-thinking" drug (Prozac et al), therapy is so much quicker.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I asked this question about Ativan a few days ago, and the response was to keep PNR use of benzos to 2-3 times per week. So you should be fine.
My doctor has told me to take Klonopin four times a week, even if I don't feel that I need it (I don't really follow that advice, I still take it when I need it). But I seriously undermedicated myself when I was on Xanax, she's probably worried that I might take it once a week or not take it at all or something.

(psst - and it's prn - pro re nata).

·
Registered
106 Posts
My doctor has told me to take Klonopin four times a week, even if I don't feel that I need it (I don't really follow that advice, I still take it when I need it). But I seriously undermedicated myself when I was on Xanax, she's probably worried that I might take it once a week or not take it at all or something.

(psst - and it's prn - pro re nata).
Whoops! I knew the pro re nata thing, too. Apparently my brain just likes PNR more than PRN.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I take Klonopin prn and I have to take 1mg for it to have any effect on me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts