Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from sever anxiety and panic attacks! I was originally prescribed Xanax up until 2 yrs ago because of my tolerance & the half life is very short! My doctor currently prescribes me 8mg a day of Klonopin which is an increase from 6 mg four weeks ago! I notice it's no longer working and my panic symptoms are reappearing even on it! I don't know if my tolerance went up but he increased it so it should work! I would rather go on Xanax again but I would have to take much more since it doesn't last as long! Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
649 Posts
This may require more than just a benzo. As the previous poster said, that's a pretty high dose and if it is not working than something else needs to be tried. I am not suggesting you stop the benzo, but I am suggesting that something else may need to be added in order to bring your anxiety down to a reasonable level.

Are you suffering from physical symptoms, like fast heart rate, sweaty palms, red face, etc. or is it emotional anxiety?

Reactions: watertouch

·
Banned
38,431 Posts

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Karl. Not that you asked me but beta-blockers could help.
SSRI med, Raising Serotonin signaling decresses Noradrenaline so that could also help..

TCA (tricylcipantidepressant)like Klomipramine is especialy effect against anxiety...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any thoughts on what that something else might be?:stu
Clonidine has helped me out a lot. I think some people use beta blockers, but I would stay far away from those unless they really help you. They give me irregular heart beats.

You need to start taking less klonopin, but that'll make you go through physical withdrawal. Clonidine helps with that cus it tells your brain to stop using Norepinephrine.

As for your anxiety problems, you need to talk with a professional to handle that.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I suffer from sever anxiety and panic attacks! I was originally prescribed Xanax up until 2 yrs ago because of my tolerance & the half life is very short! My doctor currently prescribes me 8mg a day of Klonopin which is an increase from 6 mg four weeks ago! I notice it's no longer working and my panic symptoms are reappearing even on it! I don't know if my tolerance went up but he increased it so it should work! I would rather go on Xanax again but I would have to take much more since it doesn't last as long! Anyone else having this problem?
Is Klonopin the only psych medication you take?

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Jeeze, I'm only on .5 mg and I feel like it stopped working. Or it never worked to begin with and I'm only now noticing because I'm in contact with living human beings.

8 mg!?

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
i know the feeling. i am on 6mg of klonopin, and it barely touches me.

that is why it always shocks me with i see people on doses like 0.5 mg x3 a day or something... and it actually works for them? yikes, something must be wrong with my brain lol.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i know the feeling. i am on 6mg of klonopin, and it barely touches me.

that is why it always shocks me with i see people on doses like 0.5 mg x3 a day or something... and it actually works for them? yikes, something must be wrong with my brain lol.
That's how I feel. I wish .5mg of klonopin of .25mg of xanax was helpful to me. I'm not sure if I have built up a tolerance or if my brain is just different.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The less you take klonopin, the better it works.I try to use it as little as possible and you might want to try a beta blocker for just physical anxiety which you don't build a tolerance to. I use klonopin as more of a 2nd line of defense against anxiety if my inderal does not work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts