Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've battled with depression and anxiety for years and have tried several different types of meds. I've been taking the Klonopin for about 10 months or so. Upped the dose from .5mg per day and as needed to 1mg twice a day or as needed. The Klonopin definitely helps with my anxiety and I no longer have panic attacks. I started taking the Klonopin as a temporary medicine for the Welbutrin to kick in. Stayed on that combo for about 3 months then ran low on the klonopin and had to cut my dose in half (at .5) just to make it through the day. The Wellbutrin made my heart race so bad that when I didn't have enough Klonopin in my system my anxiety raged. So I quit the Wellbutrin cold turkey, basically crawled back to my doctor when I returned to the country and got more Kolonopin. Stayed on just that for a while but then the depression started to kick back in, hard.

Just started on Effexor XR. Went a week at 37.5 mg then upped to 75 a day. It just made me so damn sleepy that I would literally fall asleep at the first opportunity possible. And being at work, that didn't work too well. Been at 75mg for about two weeks now and i've forgotten to take it a few times. I had to switch to taking it at night because I just couldn't do my job being tired all the time. Went snowboarding this weekend and forgot the Effexor but had a backup in my bag of Klonopin. Did feel any of the crazy side effects that people talk about, but I was only off of it for three doses. Went back on it today and I seem ok.

The only crazy thing is, my mood swings were TERRIBLE this weekend. I think B!tch is an understatement! We had a two hour train ride (n the first train), I downed a half of a fifth of Jack, no chaser, no mixes. I was passed out before I was even drunk. Well, needless to say, I have some amazing friends because through the three train rides and the 5 hour treck home (I started drinking 30 minutes into it) The carried me the entire way. I have NO recollection of the entire night, not even bits and piece, it's HOURS just gone. I woke up in a friends bed this morning and felt terrible for what I put them through. Even before the Jack came into play I was just a mess, I was argumentative, moody, and down right angry-just angry at the world and everyone who was around me. And I couldn't stop crying, not sobbing crying, just the silent tears that slide down your cheeks that you can't stop even if you wanted to. (which I tried)

So, after this long *** story, I guess the question is, does anyone else have this sort of issue on these two drugs? Or just one of the drugs? I've noticed that drinking on the Klonopin I would get drunker quicker but never blacked out before. I can handle my alcohol pretty well and I don't feel as though I drank an amount excessive enough for me to black out the way that I did last night.

Among some of the other side effects I was experiencing when I first started taking the Effexor was extreme sleepiness, extreme jaw clenching (so painful and it would just last all day and into the night for over a week straight), and Ithink thats all of can really think of so far. My vision has been a little 'clouded' for a lack of a better term but that about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think drugs like Klonopin and Xanax are well-known for making you drunker faster... honestly, I avoid medications, ESPECIALLY benzos because of how insanely addictive they are.

I'm not a doctor or anything, so don't take my advice too much to heart. But I know my anxiety has gotten better without pills, and I learned in my psych classes that antidepressants are only barely more effective than placebos and both are less effective than therapy. Doctors are really not even sure how/why they work... the relationship between serotonin and depression has never been clinically proven, as far as I understand...

But then again, medication has worked for a lot of people. I do know one thing though--NEVER DRINK WHILE TAKING KLONOPIN. That's a good way to get dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking back on last night, I don't know how I didn't wind up dead. I kept thinking about that all day today and it's honestly made me consider to quit drinking all together. That blackout scared me worst than any other alcohol-related experience i've ever had.

But, my dependency on alcohol is pretty severe. If im out in a social situation, I feel as though I have to drink or my anxiety kicks into over-drive and I can't get comfortable in the situation.

I'm not saying im an alcoholic because I can go without alcohol. But I cannot go out and not drink and still have a decent time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You definitely shouldn't drink if you're on anti-depressants, it's really not safe at all.

Is it with all social situations or can you still have fun with close friends? Maybe it's time to take a break from party scenes... I find that I still feel tense even with people I love very dearly sometimes, but not like I do at parties, where all the pressure is on my performance of good social behavior. Having a shared activity versus just having talking also helps. The difference between getting a cup of coffee with someone and being forced to carry a conversation, and watching a movie or learning to roller skate or whatever lame thing that keeps the focus off just chatting...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's with all social situations where others are present. Unless it's one or two close friends, i'm just a mess the entire time.

I'm hoping the Effexor will help with this, my doc said it will help with my anxiety so he can eventually take me off of the Klonopin. I think my anxiety is just so bad that alcohol is the only thing that curves it. The Klonopin helps with the attacks but not the general 'unease' feeling that comes with being out in public.

·
Cursed and Despised
2,352 Posts
I am now taking 0.25 a day of Klonopin but it is a generic version made by Teva... now my pharmacy discontinued it, I was given ANOTHER generic I had a HORRIBLE reaction to.

Were you taking actual KLONOPIN or generic form of it, Clonozapam?

Anyway, I have not had alcohol in months, and also feel I can't function without it. I don't want to mix it with Klonopin, I wonder if after I get off Klonopin if I can, I can simply drink beer?

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
pretty much every single psychiatric medication bottle says do not drink alcohol with this medication. whether you listen to it or not, is ultimately your choice.

in my extensive experience of being on psychiatric meds and having a drinking problem, both for the past ten years, i can tell you that drinking while on a anti-depressant is counter productive.

drinking while taking a benzo, like klonopin, is basically going to make you fall asleep while drinking.

if you do choose to drink while you have klonopin in your system, it would be very unwise to drive to a bar. stay at home and drink, and test out how your body reacts. because everyone is different. who knows, maybe you will be completely fine with the addition of alcohol.

in other words, its your life, and YOLO.

·
Cursed and Despised
2,352 Posts
Yea I actually drank heavily while taking anti-depressants and anti-phychotics for over 10 years... ironically I still felt happy/stable despite playing with fire, once I had to switch off Zyprexa 2 and a half years ago my anxiety has been high because never found anything comparable...

I basically had a nervous breakdown or 3 last month or two, and had akathesia briefly and heart palpitations, so I am just way more careful about alcohol, I haven't drank in months, and it is basically the only temporary relief I feel. I would prefer to be off Klonopin before drinking...
Getting off Klonopin is another story cause I think I'm already addicted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh my god, I had the same problem and it nearly killed me. I was on that combo for a month or so recently: 75mg Effexor twice a day and 1mg klonopin only for when I had a panic attack. I had a panic attack at home, so I took 1mg of klonopin. It made me black out, no joke, for a week! When I came to, I did an assessment of my kitchen and fount that I likely took 45mg klonopin, 400mg benadryl, half a bottle of nyquil, a 6-pack of beer, and a fifth of 100-proof schnapps while I was blacked out! I talked to one of my roommates & from what they said it sounds like i did most of that over 2 days. I honestly don't know how I survived that assuming I really took just half, let alone all of that.

Ever since I stay as far away from benzos as possible. I've done a lot of different drugs & benzos are easily the scariest thing I've ever touched. I'm still on the Effexor, at a higher dose than I was then actually, & by itself it works great for me except for some side effects that I don't feel comfortable mentioning in this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.