Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Telling friends to get help?

Hi, my case is not so severe, but it makes my life a bit hard.
I wonder if anyone is talking about their SA with their friends to get better or keeping this as a secret.
I tried telling a few friends, some of them did not care, and one of them really cared. He really tries to take me into events and to make me feel more comfortable.
Do you have such an SA-buddy? Not everytime, but sometimes it can be a great help :)

Btw, the topic of this thread is made by mistake, sorry for this. Telling friends does not seem so sick, after all :D

·
Still searching..
400 Posts
and one of them really cared. He really tries to take me into events and to make me feel more comfortable.
sounds like a very good friend you have there.

I havent told many people about my sa ... I guess Im still embarrassed about it..

I told one close friend and he understood but didnt offer much.

It would probably help if I was more open about it but I feel like its a dirty secret or something..

·
thoughts are just thought
1,263 Posts
I don't mean to **** in someones ceral but I think the TC is just lucky.

If you have a friend who is understanding and willing to help you, that can make all the difference in the world. But if you don't they will give you a lot of "get over it" "man up" "stop being such a baby, and just do it." Which I find just makes things worst, as it makes me feel like my inability to "just do it" means I am less of a man and a big baby.

Most of my friends know I have SA, but only one really understands it and really respects it, I like spending time with her because she provides a safe place for me to try to overcome my SA without fear. And if (and when) I have set backs I know she will not look down on me. With my other friends I am scared to even try to come out of my SA shell.

Sadly she is married (I mean it's great she got married but) I see her A LOT less now, maybe once or twice a year at most.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with jimbo that you all are my SA buddies! : )

I've also started being more explicit about my anxieties and feelings with my husband. He knew I was "shy," but not the extent of it. I've opened up recently, because my son is sometimes socially hesitant, and I've been telling my husband about how I can feel so we can be on the lookout with my son. (Although I've heard at his age--4--many kids are shy about certain things, so it might not be a big deal.)

Hubby and I also watched a news show about bullying last night, and I told him more about how I felt being teased as a youngster, and how I'm still affected by it today.

He hasn't really given me strategies for handling SA, but it does feel good to have someone to talk to about it, rather than it just being the elephant in the room that I have SA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts