Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
totally destroying it
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my aunts and godmother came over. It was a pleasant evening until we started talking about me. These women can be really ****ing imprudent. They began asking about my relationship history and when I planned to have kids... I said that if I ever did, they'd come in my 30s. And oh where they shocked. I might as well told a kid there was no God because I assume I'd gotten the same reaction. According to them, 25 was the perfect age... 25!! I wouldn't have kids at that age even if I were a millionaire.
What about my studies? My profession? Traveling? Me-time? I've always thought of the 20s as a time for "self-discovery," to make mistakes, and do things for yourself...

What's your opinion on having kids in your mid to late 20s? Do/did you see your 20s as the time for something specific?

·
Abendfuchs
1,357 Posts
I think back in the day it was normal to have kids in your early 20's, more people wait now. My mom was 23 when she had me.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I always thought I would have by now. I decided to take life a different direction but part of me is ready to meet someone, settle down and have a family.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Ek no way for me will be late 20's early 30's for sure - I need to ground my life first

·
Registered
101 Posts
Live your own life first and satisfy your own desires before you have to live for the desires of others.. that goes for kids and relationships

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
There used to be 4 ages.

1. Childhood
  2. Adolescence
  3. Adulthood
  4. Old age

Now there are 6.

1. Childhood
  2. Adolescence
  3. Odyssey
  4. Adulthood
  5. Active retirement
  6. Old Age

Odyssey is a phenomenon that has appeared in the last couple of generations. It is the period beginning after high school where one "experiences life". It is a period of freedom before settling down into the responsibilities that is adult life.

Active retirement is a similar period. Only now, one knows what one wishes to do and hopefully, has the means to do so.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would love to have a kid in my 20s, but I would rather get a nice job first. I have also never been in a relationship so I am projecting to have kids in my early 30s.

·
Banned
445 Posts
**** yeah i'd rather have kids at 25-29, I'm going to have like what 5 years for myself? So i'd rather spend that time skiing/snowboarding and i'd rather have a family for that and vacationing across the world than just being by myself.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
I don't want kids and I'm 27. There is no point of it really. I never understood it. If I ever did, I must be really really bored and should get a new hobby for even having those thoughts in my head. I rather be a kid. This would be great, reliving my childhood and teenage years is what I always wanted instead of this pathetic adult life I'm tired of living in. I want to go back to my original form. I must be reincarnated. I hope this really happens. I refuse to accept my present life as my reality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took a Human Growth and Development class last semester, and it stated in one of my textbooks that 25 is the average age a woman gives birth to her first child.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have a child at that age. I want to work, travel, and do so many other things. I hope to have my first child when I'm 35, however, it seems like things happen much sooner than planned...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Mid-late 20s is still pretty average these days. Most people I know around my age or slightly above have kids with many being a few years old. Even that is much later than it used to be. My mom's generation often had kids before they would have graduated college and if they did college it was with children to care for at the same time. I remember a few times my mom completely lost her temper with my younger sister while trying to study for spanish class. There are more and more people wanting to wait though so I think 30s will become the most common age in the near future. Unlikely you'll make the generation above you see that. Everything is always the same as it was when they were that age. I have an uncle that we just roll our eyes at all his advice because he hasn't got a clue about current events and changing social structure.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My 30's are the age range I would shoot for if I was having kids. I'm 24 and I feel like I'm nowhere near ready to have kids. This isn't 1960, less and less people are having kids in their 20s. I personally think people are a little weird if they want to have kids in their early 20s.

·
Haters to the left.
No alarms and no surprises
2,726 Posts
I'm the same way. My dad thinks I should be married with 2 kids by now like most of his nieces are. Well f*** me. I still need to finish my studies and you know, establish myself in the world, and be able to support myself financially. Plus finding the right guy and all. This doesn't happen overnight, you know. People should really mind their own business.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
kids will ruin your life

your family is jealous because you're young, free and unburdened with annoying kids and they just want you to suffer with them

Misery loves company

this is the truth

·
Registered
150 Posts
My mother has 12 brothers and sisters and it's Mexican tradition to marry under the age of say 30. Well all of my aunts and uncles married under the age of 25 and every single one of them has told me the same thing, " Wait until after your 30 to be in a committed relationship". Now who knows you might find someone who is truly worth getting married too, but until then enjoy your life your only in your 20's once !

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
I'm going to have a little moment of silence for myself right now. Start the clocks!

Done.

I just needed to be thankful for a minute that I don't have a mother that craves grandchildren. I don't want kids. I mean, I'm sure she would like one, but more than anything I think she just wants us (me and my siblings) to be happy.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I'm not going to be done my professional degree and be licensed to practice till I'm 24.

No freaking way would I pigeon-hole myself into having a marriage and/or kid so soon after that.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Seriously, 25?! That seems way too soon. I don't want kids ever but especially not when I'm still in my 20's.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts