Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started practicing mindfulness as part of my therapy (the idea of focusing completely on the moment in hand)

I've found it quite useful in blocking out bad memories, etc... but can't help feeling that it has restricted my creativity and mental freedom.

Just about every great idea I've had has come when I've let my mind wander - something mindfulness discourages.

Does anyone else sometimes feel like curing your illness can only be accomplished by sacrificing your part of yourself?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I worry about that sometimes. Maybe mindfulness can eventually lead to a more generally disciplined mind though? As in maybe you can learn to allow your mind to wander but then snap into something else if it settles onto something destructive.

·
alien monk
8,494 Posts
if letting your mind wander is what you want to do, you can do it mindfully.

certain kinds of meditation as mindfulness practice might give you the idea that its about blocking out your random thoughts, but that's only a set of meditation practices, not mindfulness itself.

mindfulness should help you focus on the one thing you are doing, whether it be thinking creatively, meditating, or whatever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts