Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I started my computer and it made a funny noise and the screen was black and it said "keybord failure". So I completely turned off the computer and started it again. It was fine after that.

Today I turned it on and it made the sound again. It said "keyboard failure" again. I restarted it without turning it off and it said it again. And the keyboard won't work after it does it.
Anyway I usually have to completely turn off the computer and restart and it will be fine. It types just fine.

I don't know why it is doing this. I just got this new computer-will be a year next month. It's a DELL and I use Windows XP. :stu :con

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If you have any keyboards around, or can borrow a keyboard from your mom, dad, friend for a little while, do it and test it out. Try there keyboard then try yours. Your keyboard might be crappin out on ya. If that doesnt work and you still get that error message its a problem within your tower and you might need to go online to a board that deals with computer problems and talk to a professional.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Strange. I would suggest buying a new keyboard. They're cheap enough so you won't go broke.

Does DELL have a warrenty for their keyboards? There's a possibility you could get a replacement. One think I recommend you not do is to try to take apart the keyboard and try to fix it yourself. Out of curiosity, I took apart a keyboard, and it didn't work after I put it back. Perhaps you may be better with these things than I, but why take unecessary changes ;)

Good luck.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have u unplugged it and plugged it back in? After all the humidity this summer i was having problems with harddrives, my modem, gfx card, and mouse. After i took it all apart to clean the contacts and put it all back together its working fine.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
A good tool to have that every PC/Laptop owner should have is Air Duster. Its basicaly compressed air in a can that you can buy many places for anywere from 5-7 dollars. Its good for spraying junk out of your keyboard, any pluggings and really anything u can think of on your PC that gets dirty. Try buying a can, unplug your keyboard and spray both male and female ends off really well, then stick it back in and see it if works.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
First things first: Make sure the plug is tightly attached to the computer case :)

Then try another keyboard that you know works (you can buy em for around 10$ if you need to..)

if neither of those things fix it it could be your motherboard in which case you'd have to get dell to fix it, or a local computer shop if you don't have a warranty...

·
Registered
435 Posts
nae is right. try a new keyboard, that you know works for others. also, try plugging in a usb keyboard instead of ps/2... or if you're already using usb, plug it in as ps/2. it could be the connector... in which case you could save yourself the pain of shipping the computer out for dell's warranty by sticking with usb/ps/2....

also, normally i get this error if i'm pressing keys as the computer is booting... i dunno if modern systems still do this but older systems used to beep and say "keyboard error" if you are pressing keys at a bad time while booting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts