Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you keep your bedroom door opened or closed?

I keep it opened the well majority of the time (except when I am changing, or sleeping).

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,133 Posts
I always kept mine closed but I realized my mom felt a bit closed off from me as a result so I leave it open more often now. It's worked out all right for getting good circulation going in the apartment throughout the summer but I still close it when her preaching shows are on loud or when want my own personal space completed

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I keep it closed and locked now. Some parents don't get the concept of knocking. There was some friciton when I started this, but now its all good and I feel a lot more comfortable because of it.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
I keep it closed and locked now. Some parents don't get the concept of knocking. There was some friciton when I started this, but now its all good and I feel a lot more comfortable because of it.
haha I have the same problem. My dad would just open my door and walk right in. I hate that! I always lock my door now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When my SA was really bad, I'd keep it closed, and I'd feel restless if it was left open until I got up and closed it. Now I close it out of habit, but don't mind as much if it's left open.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
open except at night if my brother is home with video games. :lol
I will leave it open a little bit - just enough to shut out most of the light.

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
almost always closed, but mostly because my kittie isn't allowed in the rest of the house. if he's outside wandering around, i'll leave it open sometimes.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I always keep my door closed.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Almost always closed. My mom thinks I'm hiding, but I just don't want to hear the noise from her tv, especially when I'm watching my own tv or trying to study/read.

·
Finding my way
1,932 Posts
I live by myself so I keep the door open. When I lived with my parents I kept the door closed, though.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I have to sleep with my door closed. When it's open, I think:
"I fire might start and it'll spread into my bedroom too fast for me to get away safely."
"A murderer is going to break in and find my room faster and kill me."
"A rapist is going to break in and find my room faster and rape me and then probably kill me." - I have an almost phobic fear of rape.
Generally: "My room isn't safe anymore."

In the daytime I don't care if my door is open. I shut it if I want privacy but since the door is broken it doesn't shut all the way anyway!

When I'm not in my room, I like to leave the door open because 1) my room is pretty and I wanna share it with the rest of the house and 2) I don't want the air in there to get stale.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
haha I have the same problem. My dad would just open my door and walk right in. I hate that! I always lock my door now.
Both my parents did that and I wasn't allowed to have a lock. For a while, I wasn't even allowed to have a door (my dad removed it). I always closed my door when I lived with them and had one to close. I'm generally uncomfortable with open doors, especially behind me, but I'm pretty comfortable in my apartment, so it mostly depends on what I'm doing now.

I cannot sleep in a room with an open door.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Yes I can relate - my parents just walk in as if my room is the living room or something and unfortunately, I am not allowed a lock either. My room has two doors - me and my brother's room connect to the bathroom - I normally don't bother with this door and it's usually open as my brother normally shuts his side of the door so it doesn't really matter whilst I keep the main door shut to enjoy whatever little privacy I have.
At night, I shut the main door as a matter of habit.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts