Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw an ad for gloves made of kangaroo leather, which the ad claimed was 5 times stronger than cowhide.

This made me wonder, what do they do with the rest of the kangaroo? Toss a 'roo steak on the barbie, mate?:stu

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've eaten kangaroo meat before. I've had it about 7 times but only once was it really amazing, I really enjoyed that one time and I'm not a big meat lover. :p

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try it. I've had buffalo, but not kangaroo. o:
I've seen buffalo meat in stores to a very limited degree, though have never tried it. I never previously heard of eating kangaroos, but I figured they must be doing something with the rest if they made leather out of the skin.

·
I survived Smash Mouth
3,715 Posts
Yes, they do sell kangaroo meat in butchers. It's hardly the Australian equivalent of the cow, but people do eat kangaroo burgers. I'm sure the meat has its diehard supporters, but it's more of a novelty than anything else, at least in the circles I've traveled in.

(I've only ever seen mince meat, but that's not to say there isn't a place that sells steaks or some other such cut.)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I have had Kangaroo meat in Australia as well as in canada. It is nice. I dont really like the kangaroo sausages. But the burgers are good.

Kangaroo leather is meant to be very good. A lot of the top level soccer boots are made out of them.

Kangaroos are basically a pest. Sad to say but true

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I saw kangaroo meat at the super market when I was in Australia,but I didn't try it.
I actually felt that it was a common thing in Australia since they sold it in all of the supermarkets that I visited while I was down there.
I could probably have tried it all though it would have felt a bit weird if I'm going to be honest :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Kangaroo sausages = kanga bangas. As cute as they may be, they are a pest. Eating kangaroo could be considered green/enviro-friendly to eat roo meat. It's also high in protein and low in fat.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I'd like to try some. The only kind of exotic meat I've tried was moose meat,lol.

·
unstable
2,590 Posts
I'm Australian but repulsed by meats I did not grow up eating. Roo meat is one of them.
I'm not Australian but that's the view I have on meat.

I Only eat pork beef goat and chicken, and I had lamb once at a Greek restaurant but I don't cook it myself (and seafood). And whatever's in hot dogs lol. I refuse veal, rabbit, and certain parts of my usual meats.

On topic, I'd probably never eat Kangaroo meat. :lol

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Rabbit is lush man ^ So is Pheasant.

Meanwhile, in America...
Are you implying Americans have high food standards? :D

Kangaroo.... interesting idea. I wouldn't pass it off if someone offered it to me. I knew a lass in my class once who said she was open minded to eating PEOPLE! Then again, it was said in the context of a life or death situation.

·
unstable
2,590 Posts
Rabbit is lush man ^ So is Pheasant.
When I was a kid I had rabbits as pets, and the alcoholic man next door used to joke about stealing them and cooking them, and then my dad would laugh and follow along with the joke, so I'm traumatised. :afr

I haven't had pheasant and probably wouldn't eat it, too weird looking LOL

To add to my list, I don't eat duck and I do eat Turkey of course :boogie(speaking of weird looking birds)

·
I can't take this...
493 Posts
I've seen buffalo meat in stores to a very limited degree, though have never tried it. I never previously heard of eating kangaroos, but I figured they must be doing something with the rest if they made leather out of the skin.
I'm sure there's SOME market for them, especially in Australia. Are they protected in Australia? I think they might be...

Yeah, I had a buffalo burger. o: It was good, but was more lean than I was used to. It has a strange (to me) texture because it has almost no fat compared to a standard beef burger.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm sure there's SOME market for them, especially in Australia. Are they protected in Australia? I think they might be...

Yeah, I had a buffalo burger. o: It was good, but was more lean than I was used to. It has a strange (to me) texture because it has almost no fat compared to a standard beef burger.
No they're not protected and like a few have already said they are considered pests, mostly by farmers and people that get their jollies shooting things for sport.

Traditionally Outback Aboriginals still eat a lot of Kangaroo meat and it's easy enough to get a hold of by everyone else but most Aussies don't eat it regulary.

Personally I've tried it and it was tough, sticky and gross. Even my dogs wouldn't eat it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts