Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate small talks...and I guess most of u do too...
So I've been thinking maybe we can post some topics that are good for small talks.. Then at least we won't feel so awkward when people try to talk to us.
Basically I'm a conversation killer and I think I don't have anything to say to people except homework and the weather...:blank

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think you can talk about almost anything if you have a creative mind. Some usual ones would be movies, t.v. shows, sports, hobbies, and the dreaded weather topic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Small talk is so damn boring. Tv, sports, current events, the weather, workplace related topics, commenting on how hot a girl/guy is, music, movies, people with more exciting lives than ourselves, plans for the weekend:)lol:lol)etc etc. The real problem is keeping a steady flow of convo without it sounding forced.

·
Drinking
370 Posts
I think I don't have anything to say to people except homework and the weather...:blank
I love weather!
I always wanted to be a storm chaser. I love things in nature that are intense. It's really euphoric.
It's funny because out of the people I know, I'm the only one apparently who knows how to read a radar, so they always call me when they see a thunderstorm or tornado watch and say "ok kevin, what's it doing".

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
i was going to post something like this, i just need SOMETHING to say even if it is very boring.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have studied the use of language as part of my degree. Guess what the most popular subjects of most conversations are? The weather and work (I suppose you could replace study with work depending on the demographic). There's no getting around it guys, if you want to get good at talking with people you will need to get good at talking about the bloody weather. :lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Weather, current events. etc. Join the website Digg.com there are all kinds of very interesting stories there that are sure to bring stimulating conversation. Sports, tv shows, music...music is something that binds most people together.

·
Registered
609 Posts
WORK talk is dreadfully boring...yes, it does rank up there when it comes to most popular things to talk about but my oh my, it bores me to death talking about my work or someones elses work...

its easy to think of stuff to say, the weather, halloween coming up, talk about that...movies, exercise, the latest happenings in the news...the list goes on and on..i can force small talk, its easy, my biggest problem is actually enjoying talking to people....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess there are plenty of topics to talk about...
But I just can't force myself to start a topic since I kinda just feel awkward all the time while talking to people..

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I always end up talking about work. It actually works well because I have a weird job, so people ask a lot of questions about it. Other than that, I don't have any real go-to topics.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi There!

I've always had trouble with social conversations too. One thing is it's good to talk about something you're interested in. Another thing is talking about some shared interest with the other person. Another thing is if you're feeling all notted up and there's awkward silence, I know for me it always makes me feel better to just say what's going on, "like I'm not so great at small talk, it makes me a little nervous when I don't know people," or something. That can help.:blank

·
Drinking
370 Posts
I've always had trouble with social conversations too. One thing is it's good to talk about something you're interested in. Another thing is talking about some shared interest with the other person. Another thing is if you're feeling all notted up and there's awkward silence, I know for me it always makes me feel better to just say what's going on, "like I'm not so great at small talk, it makes me a little nervous when I don't know people," or something. That can help.:blank
Oh man, I couldn't agree more with that last sentence. I just recently started doing that, and it really does make me feel a lot better. Just being up front with someone, letting them know you're shy and aren't comfortable in certain situations, how you feel awkward so forth, really puts a weight off of you. And you never know when the other person might say "omg me too!" lol. Of course, they could say "yeah I used to be shy and then I got over it" like a conversation I had earlier tonight. In that case things won't be any better, but hey at least you got it out there. I'm so tired of hiding!

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Small talk is so damn boring. Tv, sports, current events, the weather, workplace related topics, commenting on how hot a girl/guy is, music, movies, people with more exciting lives than ourselves, plans for the weekend:)lol:lol)etc etc. The real problem is keeping a steady flow of convo without it sounding forced.
Well then how do you keep a steady conversation going without forcing???? lol....I always feel like I'm annoying people when I text or IM them, but I know that's SA's trademark....to make you think too much into things :/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well then how do you keep a steady conversation going without forcing???? lol....I always feel like I'm annoying people when I text or IM them, but I know that's SA's trademark....to make you think too much into things :/
I feel that too...so I basically never IM people

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
I feel that too...so I basically never IM people
I used to not either til like this year. I've been trying to face my fears little by little and I met a guy I liked and he has an IM so I kinda had to force the thought that if I didn't take the chance I only had myself to blame and would be just as miserable if I never tried as I "might" be if I did. One was sure, the other wasn't, so I forced myself to. It wasn't always so bad either...sometimes it was, but a lot of the time once I broke the initial ice he was pretty kind. What bothers me most is when you're talking to someone via text/IM and they just stop talking and you're left wondering, "ok...what did I do THIS time! &[email protected]#%"...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything bad either, it's just the stupid SA trying to control your life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts