Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, googleling about this problem led me to this forum so i decided to register and see if i can learn a thing or two. one thing that i would like to point out is that i come across as an a-hole sometimes but i'm really a nice guy (i think).

a bit about me and how i believe came to get SA. i'm 30 yrs old male from texas. i've been suffering from SA since i was 17-18. i come from an abusing (mentally and physically) parent. at the age of about 17-18, i decided that i would stay in the house to avoid problems i was having with people at school and just people in general. at the time i use to get into a few fights. if anyone would stared at me i thought they were hatting me or insulting me. this anger i believe came from the abuse, i still have some of it, but thats another story.
another reason i stayed home more was to protect my mom from getting hit by my dad. anyways....i feel i got SA from avoiding people. the abusing (mentally and physically) didn't play a role in my anxiety. how do i know this? my brother went through the abuse but the only different thing he did was to go out and mingle with people more. he has thick skin at present time, he doesnt have SA but i do, while i'm an anxiety nut job.

so that's my believe, avoiding people causes SA. my problem now that i know this is how to meet new people when i have this SA.

i hope i can learn from peoples experiences here. i'm here to fix my problem (hopefully).

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey mrfixit, welcome to :sas

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Hi mrfixit. I'm sorry to hear of what you've had to go through.

I understand how hard it is to meet people after years of avoiding them. I spent years just with my parents and now my dad is deceased and my mum has moved on to a new relationship I can't hide behind them anymore, so i'm having to try to open up to people which is proving very difficult and makes me extremely anxious.

I hope by posting and reading the topics here it will help you overcome your SA and get you to a better life. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, MrFixIt! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts