Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what the effects alcohol has on overall health. I have a friend trying to make me lose my alcohol virginity among other things, and I'm considering just trying the whole social drinking thing to see if it helps at all, but I want to know precisely what I'm getting myself into before I do anything.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Really, don't do it - for someone with SA it's easy to become an alcoholic by starting drinking in social situations to make you feel better.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
drinking alcohol in moderation is fine; binge drinking every night is not. you have to know your limits or be able to be an adult enough to deal with the consequences of having too much to drink.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I drank steadily for two weeks a while back, and I noticed weight loss, disorientation most of the time and constantly making the same stupid mistakes, and throwing up once or twice because I hit the rum and vodka at the same time a little too hard. Memory loss, drunk dialing, I generally made a fool of myself but didn't care.

I doubt that's what you intend to do, though. Social drinking is okay, but it can turn very quickly into a crutch for everything.. for me it was the first thing I did in the morning and the last thing at night. Heavier drinking can cause liver damage, and if you're new to drinking and aren't careful, you can experience the next morning hangover, which is an excruciating sick feeling and huge headache that render you bed ridden for the day, usually. In other words, don't get drunk off beer, which will give you a hangover. As well, don't get so drunk off anything that you vomit, since that'll be a sure hangover too. Either drink a couple of beers, or a lot of wine and vodka, and you're safe.

As for long term, it's probably mentioned more thoroughly in health journals online. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just drink on weekends, it will do you good. It's very good for getting rid of anxiety and making you more bubbly.. that's the effect it has on me anyway. Just don't binge drink and you'll be fine.. I'm happier when tipsy from alcohol too tbh.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've found myself drinking less & less in the last several months, even though my life clearly hasn't improved. It's gone downhill. Clearly those at AA meetings must have had a different experience than myself where they just went for more & more.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Drink a beer by yourself and see how it feels. Listen to music, dance a little. There's no need to get ****faced even though it's fun on occasion, your head will thank you for it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
ok, so, you asked about overall health. Beer pretty much makes you gain weight in time (hence the terms "freshman 50" and "beer belly") ... I'm not sure if you're taking SA meds. I know from personal experience that hard liquor is that much more intense for me (more than i would like it to be!) and i'm on Paxil 20 mg. I tend to stick with a glass of Arbor Mist wine every now and then with a meal. Not so much for the effect (b/c it really has none on me) but b/c it is yummy :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't drink much, but when I do down my shots/half of a beer/glass of wine, it usually made me less self-conscious and more likely to converse, if not, I usually just stayed quiet and sleepy. For someone who never drank before, you can expect the alcohol to get you red and flushed, maybe a hot feeling, make your breathing a bit more deeper. If you drink too much too quickly, your stomach may decide to throw up. Personally, I've never gotten to the "pass-out" mark. But I've gotten to the, "I should probably sleep it off in the car first" mark a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you want to have a drink, you can. Don't drink just because you want to fit in though.

Unfortunately, drinking is a "social activity" in the US. Lol, give me a break... yeah, "drinking is okay, but only if you do it on special occasions". Nonsense. People drink basically for four reasons: to fit in (peer pressure), to experiment, to drown out pain, and finally to cure the withdrawal symptoms of alcoholism (in the case of chronic alcoholics). I'm not sure any of these are good reasons, although they are all understandable reasons.

I have nothing against alcohol, it's not morally wrong or anything, but it certainly is not a "safe" drug.

Most (if not all) addictive drugs cause large amounts of dopamine to be released all at once, much more than would be released by natural activites such as food, sex, and exercise. In alcoholics, dopamine is depleted over time to the point where these natural pleasures don't give as much pleasure anymore. The only thing that provides relief is more alcohol.

I'm not trying to scare you off or anything. But I just think it is important to know the risks.

http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/disease-concept-of-chemical-dependency

Alcohol obviously affects the liver but one night of drinking isn't going to cause any permanent damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried drinking in order to ease my social anxiety. It didn't work too well. I just felt really sleepy and I had a headache. I also didn't continue drinking bc I don't want to gain weight. Im not happy about my weight to begin with so I don't want to add to it.
I wouldn't suggest it

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
You may as well give it a try to see if you like it. Maybe a glass of wine or two with a meal, and not at all if it will interfere with any medication you're taking.

The governent here in the UK advises men to drink no more than 3-4 units of alcohol a day, and no more than 21 in a week. Stick within those limits and I don't think you'll go far wrong. If you haven't had a drink before, you'll get a big effect from a little alcohol anyway - you'll probably notice an effect after one unit.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
ok, so, you asked about overall health. Beer pretty much makes you gain weight in time (hence the terms "freshman 50" and "beer belly") ... I'm not sure if you're taking SA meds. I know from personal experience that hard liquor is that much more intense for me (more than i would like it to be!) and i'm on Paxil 20 mg. I tend to stick with a glass of Arbor Mist wine every now and then with a meal. Not so much for the effect (b/c it really has none on me) but b/c it is yummy :)
Arbor Mist will make one fat too. It's a "wine product" with only 6% alc and sugar & flavors added, which is probably why it tastes so yummy. (I've personally never tried it). To minimize calories I drink real wine where the vast majority of the sugar has been converted to alcohol. At 13% alc you end up with a bitter taste (and minimal residual sugar), but calorie content only marginally higher than that of hard liquor that contains zero sugar.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
If you wanted to avoid sticking out at parties, you could bring a flask with some alcohol in it, and pretend to drink out of it, and just act tipsy and say I love you guys a lot. :)

When I was younger they always said alcohol kills brain cells. Does anyone know if that's true?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I never ever thought I would need to quit alcohol.

But when I moved away from my parents I noticed that alcohol was becoming my best friend. I noticed that I was drinking more than the rest at the parties. I also started doing crazy things while being intoxicated, like gambling away half of my salary.

Yeah, 70% of the world drinks occasionally, but you have to realize that you are on a risk group. So there is a chance that you'll become one of those unlucky alcohol-abusers.

Alcohol will make you careless. And that might be a good and a bad thing. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
benzo and alcohol abuse can increase anxiety (reference from wiki) i dont know about it, the doctor i quieried said it helps at first but can end up worst.

but thats not a pleasant glass with dinner. alcoholic withdrawal can be worst than heroin withdrawal and it increases chance of dimentia (in binge amounts for years and years)

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
It's dehydrating!

·
Banned
115 Posts
Alcohol can be very fun when used in moderation. When drank too much or everyday, it can ruin your life.

I used to have a drinking problem and I got a DUI and I went to Alcohol Education classes and they basically taught me how to drink responsibly. You must be very careful if you have alcoholic relatives because it increases your chances of being alcoholic.

When I was younger I used to get ****-faced all the time and it truly is not worth it. I made a fool of myself so many times I cant count and at the end of it I finally got in trouble with the law. I also wreaked havoc on my body and mind.

I still drink sometimes but its usually 1-2 beers only when I do. The most I ever drink anymore is 5 beers. This kind of drinking is very fun and it lowers the dangers of drinking significantly. I never get a hangover and I only buy good beer anymore so it is actually enjoyable to drink them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.