Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's this sweet little old lady that lives in my neighborhood. I've just recently become aware that she does'nt have a car. We got to talking about how hard it is to survive without a car. So,last week I pumped up my courage and told her I'd be happy to take her to the grocery this week. I figured it would be a pretty low stress thing for me,why not help her out? I need practice just being around others and making small talk. Older people are'nt as uncomfortable for me to be around as are others. Well,this morning I started getting a little terrified-heart pounding,could'nt think clearly,etc. I went thru with it,even though I constatly worried I was talking too much,too little,boring,annoying etc.,etc. I'm going to take her again next week. - Hopefully it will be a little easier! Right now my mind feels drained and I really want to take a nap ,just so I can calm myself down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's great. Don't worry about talking too much, though--chances are, if she doesn't know you particularly well, she was probably feeling awkward as well, and, more than likely, was glad that you were keeping the conversation going.

I wish I could once feel that I was talking too much... my problem is that I feel like I never talk at all.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
such a brave thing to do :) a small and simple story, but puts a smile on ones face none-the-less ^_^
from working in a shop, i've found that many old people (the less bitter about everything about everything types, lol) actually enjoy a good old conversation. even if someone else is doing all the talking. it can be a lonely thing, age. and they appreciate friendships more than younger people. so i wont be surprised if a great friendship grows between you both and you both look out for each other.
i'm excited for you already!! ^_^

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Good for you, Still Waters. And for the lady, as Canadian Brotha said.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
That's great! I'm really glad you posted this, it's awesome to hear for both you and the elderly woman.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are so sweet! Thanks a lot!! I just wish we could all live near each other and be pals!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Shucks. It's awfully hard to be as cynical as I am towards humanity in general when I read about stuff like this. Good for you.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Shucks. It's awfully hard to be as cynical as I am towards humanity in general when I read about stuff like this. Good for you.
That's a good point. Random acts of chipping away at cynicism ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
What a sweet (and brave) thing to do! :) That is wonderful! Congrats! :yay

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that's a great thing you did. I think helping others is a good way to help yourself and im sure she enjoyed your company. Keep up the good work!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts