Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I'm Jamie. I'm 22, in college, and I think I might have SA. Growing up various doctors threw various diagnoses and medicines at me from ADHD to OCD, Depression, and Seasonal Affective Disorder. Not much that they did really helped. Personally I think I might just have Social Anxiety disorder, though I don't think it's as severe as what I imagine others go through. I took a couple of those leibowitz tests online for it and scored over 110 both times which I guess is high.

I spend the vast majority of my time alone. I don't really have panic attacks, the last one was when a girl gave me her phone number and then a few weeks later asked why I never called. I'm terrified of talking to women, and kind of fear speaking to guys as well. I don't have a single friend at this college, the only people I ever do spend time with are my family and a few friends from high school(rarely). As far as physical symptoms it's more of a constant dull dread, tension, and just general feeling of being locked in and seperate than anything like a panic attack. I've never been in any kind of relationship.

Not to make this way too long but I'm wondering how people work up the courage to talk to a therapist in the first place. Talking to people is exactly what I'm afraid of, and I worry that my issues aren't serious enough, that they'll just laugh at me.

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey Jamie welcome. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome Jamie, I'm surprised that those doctors didn't refer you to see psychologists/psychiatrists. My fears also included interacting with women. But it got easier as I did it more and more, and as I improved my own view of my self-image. As for taking the plunge to talk to therapists, you just decide for yourself that you need to talk to one and make the effort to sit at the top of the water slide (make an appointment), and before you know it, you're on your way into the pool. When you're there, it may take a while to get things out, as you learn to trust that person, but in time, talking to them would get easier.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Welcome, Recusant! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.