Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
No. I'd rather be able to socialize comfortably.
I don't feel "normal" or well-developed.

I feel like a emotional dwarf.
that's exactly the point. Maybe the majority shouldnt be the way it is now, maybe SAers are the "normal" ones. Then you wouldn't feel like an 'emotional dwarf' cause society wouldn't create those feelings in you.

What if WE are the normal ones? And are just reacting to an abnormal scary world?
Ive think about this as well. when is the revolution going the be? i'm ready :b

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think everything that's wrong with the world arises from how it is structured. People are cold. No one seems to want real friends anymore... people just want people to entertain them. No one shows any decency to anyone who doesn't align with their reality... and no one ever considers what developmental factors contribute to why anyone is the way they are.

It takes a very lonely and disillusioned person to see the world for what it is anymore. And I've come to see that loneliness as a gift.
If I've been spared from anything, it was trying to explain exactly what you've just said. That would have been hard. Thank you and couldn't agree more.

I've thought a handful of times that we're "blessed with self awareness" so to speak. Maybe we take it a little too far or whatever, but at least we aren't the obnoxious ones. We seem to be the smart ones who can read between the lines.

·
Lost in New Babylon
86 Posts
:roll

I like "reinforcing my S.A.D." (That's just a silly way of saying I'm accepting myself as I am because I can't change it) because to a certain extent, I don't believe it's a disorder at all. And no. It doesn't help but I simply don't give a ****. Nothing is going to increase my chances at any of those things because this is how I am and the world is how it is and that's all there is to it.
I disagree. With hard work and a bit of courage I think we can increase our chances at living the life we want. Aren't all of us here because we want to learn how to do that? The world will never be perfect, but perhaps we can carve a perfect corner out of it.

That said, I think the entire question of whether or not we're normal isn't relevant. Just because something is normal doesn't make it positive, and just because something is abnormal doesn't make it negative. I think if we are content to let SA rule us then it is a bad thing, but if we can master it and not let it rule our lives then it is in some ways a blessing. By keeping what what we learn from SA--the sensitivity and self awareness for example-- and overcoming the negative parts, couldn't we potentially become better off than the normal people?

Loved the Matrix comment, by the way. There was one line Morpheus said that really described it all before I had a name for SA:

"You know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life. There's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind driving you mad."

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.