Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
In my opinion, normal=majority. If more people think something, the more it becomes "normal". But we've seen throughout history that just because the majority of society thinks something, doesnt make it right. Try not to think of someone as normal or abnormal. We're all humans. People can only label you if you ackowledge the label they give you.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I ignore that thought. It doesn't change the world and it doesn't make life anymore fun.

Its like the whole men/women have it harder than the other sex; argument. Whether or not it is true; actually believing it does more to hurt your chances at a relationship.

So, believing that we, the socially anxious, often pessimistic; see the world as it truly is- only reinforces our S.A.D. and further reduces our chances at jobs, sex, and relationships.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
So, believing that we, the socially anxious, often pessimistic; see the world as it truly is- only reinforces our S.A.D. and further reduces our chances at jobs, sex, and relationships.
:roll

I like "reinforcing my S.A.D." (That's just a silly way of saying I'm accepting myself as I am because I can't change it) because to a certain extent, I don't believe it's a disorder at all. And no. It doesn't help but I simply don't give a ****. Nothing is going to increase my chances at any of those things because this is how I am and the world is how it is and that's all there is to it.

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
It's Good To Be Abnormal

What if WE are the normal ones? And are just reacting to an abnormal scary world?
The word "normal" is a very broad term, but I know what your talking about. I think about that question on a daily basis and have come to the conclusion that no, were not the normal ones.

You know what I've noticed? People who have these rare mental disorders (SAD, OCD, Autism, different types of personality disorders, etc.) are most of the time very withdrawn, quiet, and highly intelligent. People who are very extroverted, outgoing, preppy, and conform to silly temporary trends however, rarely show any signs of the things said above. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't know about normal, but a world full of socially anxious people will be alot more empathetic, more advanced and peaceful imo.

We SAers are much more aware of our own humanity, and thus tend to adopt a humanist view of the world. We are far less likely to intentionally hurt others, unless we are pushed beyond our limits. And it seems to me that it is always the loud outgoing types who fall for deceits of the powermongers and conmen of the world. They are more likely to blindly follow without questioning and end up doing things that they regret, or end up hurting themselves or others.

·
Your Assumptions
7,025 Posts
Statistically, we are not normal. Or by normal, do you mean that we lack certain negative traits that characterize most people? If the latter, then there are certainly many good traits I've noticed associated with those here. I only interact with people who are socially anxious, autistic etc., so they are the norm from my point of view and I generally prefer associating with them.

I do sometimes wonder if everyone is just as anxious as us, and that they're just better at hiding it, and pretending to be confident. I couldn't stand it if feeling this way is normality :afr
Well, allow me put your mind at ease by assuring you that most do not live with severe or clinical levels of anxiety. :) ;)

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Statistically, we are not normal. Or by normal, do you mean that we lack certain negative traits that characterize most people?
I think a better word for what we are is natural. Meaning that we know and are constantly aware of the fact that civilization is not a natural condition and human beings are not supposed to be living this way. The perception that everyone else is "normal" because they interface seamlessly with an artificial construct is more of a delusion than it is for someone to think he is being negatively evaluated when he is probably actually correct.

It is not natural to fit in with this society/civilization. It is a talent. A skill, if you will. It's like singing. You've either got it or you don't.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I have that thought quite alot. Its like when i see what kind of people are out there, and what they get up to, i think about what "normal" actually is. To me being normal is everyday bog standard living (for example, job, being at home, maybe a few friends etc).

But alot of people in society aren't very laid back, nice or sociable even if they claim to be.

Its like with social network sites and the internet, people promote themselves and compete for status, occasionaly putting other people down. How the hell is that being sociable!?

·
Shining Phoenix
45 Posts
I think everything that's wrong with the world arises from how it is structured. People are cold. No one seems to want real friends anymore... people just want people to entertain them. No one shows any decency to anyone who doesn't align with their reality... and no one ever considers what developmental factors contribute to why anyone is the way they are.

It takes a very lonely and disillusioned person to see the world for what it is anymore. And I've come to see that loneliness as a gift.
Replace "No one" with "the majority of people I/we meet" and wat you wrote above would be very true.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What if WE are the normal ones? And are just reacting to an abnormal scary world?
This way of thinking is a nice confidence booster, I guess. I just have too many things to worry about than what is or isn't normal.

I don't even get out of the house anymore to consider what or isn't normal. For all I know, wearing underwear on your head is the trend right now and I wouldn't have a clue.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't even get out of the house anymore to consider what or isn't normal. For all I know, wearing underwear on your head is the trend right now and I wouldn't have a clue.
LOL
ya alot of the time i never get out of the house either!

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
we could say that being abnormal is normal so in a way we are normal.

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
When I smoke weed I think many things like this. It really opens your mind on how we are, what we do, how we do it, why we do it, how things work and so many more things. I love weed.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.