Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think i necessarily have bad "social" anxiety, but anxiety about life in general, I definitely do. I'm an EMT and at first I didn't think I was going to make it. I was scared to go to work, and i worked at a friggen transport company. We only took 911 calls every once and awhile.

My first 911 call though, i freaked out at first when my partner ran out to get me. But 5 minutes later, the adrenaline rush took over.

The last one I went on I was already driving, and I had never driven on a 911 before. Plus my partner was new, and it was maybe his second day by himself. So I was the senior EMT. Nothing went wrong though, I panicked for maybe a second and then just went. And it was awesome.

And I'm going to paramedic school next month. Yeah, it scares the **** out of me. I think every day "Should a person like me even be in this field?" but when i actually do my job, I can't think of doing anything else.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
I'm newly licensed EMT and also starting medic school on 7/8.

I haven't gotten an EMT job yet, but I did take on double the clinical shifts required to best help me assess fit with the career.

While I had difficulty making small talk with the crew and with the firepeople at the station houses, I found myself very talkative and compassionate during actual patient care. Much more so than the medics who may have been more jaded over time.

I hope I continue to retain the desire to connect with the patients instead of simply moving the meat around.

Good luck on medic school!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This website seems to have a disproportionately high EMS population. :)

I am a first responder, with plans to become an EMT. I often think EMS is the wrong career for a shy guy like me, but I know what you mean by that"adrenaline rush" that gets you talking during a crisis. A few weeks ago, I was the sole witness to a single car accident on a rural country road. As I stopped the car, I began having all these thoughts about social anxiety and freezing up when I got to the victim. When I started talking to the driver, however, I was surprised by how calm and in control I sounded. I was able to stabilize the guy and communicate with 911 at the same time. Me and him are still in contact now. It's probably my proudest moment in terms of SA and helping others.

Good luck at paramedic school, hopefully I can follow in your footsteps soon.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
I often think EMS is the wrong career for a shy guy like me, but I know what you mean by that"adrenaline rush" that gets you talking during a crisis.
For me, in my very very limited experience so far, I think I've been talkative less because of adrenaline (since most calls are pretty benign), but because you feel (at that moment) that your patient is more vulnerable than you are.

I think many SAers inherently want to please others which also means wanting to help others.

I'm sure I'll be more of a clam around patients that are belligerent and resent the help. And those are the ones that I'll lose sleep over, stupidly.

Great job on your trauma!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts