Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was selected for jury duty and I'm not looking forward to be hassled by lawyers and judges. Has anyone experiences this? Tips?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Sorry no tips, it seems that with all my mental disorders I'm just crazy enough to be able get out of jury duty. It had always been a worry of mine until I got called on for jury duty, I sent in the letter with a list of my disorders and they dismissed me, I didn't even have to go in.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
Most likely, you will not even have to serve on a jury because they bring in enough jurors just in case they need a lot that day. First of all they may have no trials that day or the case may settle 'out of court', so to speak, may be delayed or plea bargained.
Even if they try to select a jury, you may not be selected from the group anyway, especially if you let them know you have psychological difficulties with serving on the jury itself.

If you're really worried you can contact them directly and find out what the criteria and procedure for being excused from jury duty is.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was selected for jury duty and I'm not looking forward to be hassled by lawyers and judges. Has anyone experiences this? Tips?
I just had it two weeks ago. All I did was sit in a room bored out of my mind for a day and a half. Aside from the boredom, it was completely painless. My only tip would be bring a book or something else to pass the time.

Most of us in the jury pool never got called on and were sent home within two days. Even if you do get called on for jury selection, you won't be hassled. The lawyers just ask you a few questions to make sure you don't have any connection with the case that could cause you to not be impartial.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I've been on jury duty. It's really not that bad. They put up a list of questions that each juror had to answer... stuff like what city you lived in, occupation, etc. The judge explains what the role of a juror is, how to weigh testimony, etc. Then the attorneys asked everyone a question and had the option to remove a juror based on the answer. Most questions were relevant e.g. "should you give more, less, same weight to the testimony of an officer over a civilian?" (hint: people who are impressed by uniforms tend to get kicked off). I got a weird question where the attorney asked if I thought there was any reason why the attorney (who was asking me the question) should not represent the defendant.

The trial itself was pretty interesting and I never had to talk or anything. It's not like the shows because the judge hardly ever talked... I think it's only when there is no jury that the judge gets really involved. The judge herself, said that if she ever happens to look or do anything while someone is testifying, it should not be interpreted as her approving or disapproving of what was being said. I did not talk much or get to know any of the other jurors during my time.

There was one 'incident' when someone out in the hall screamed. There was an officer testifying at the time and he had to run off to respond. The other officer (watching the defendant) grabbed the defendant and opened a door in the court room. Apparently there is a small cage like cell in courtrooms and he locked the defendant inside of it, then ran off to respond to the scream. I guess they were worried about an attempt to escape. lol.

It's not bad sa-wise. You spend all your time sitting there listening. Even during deliberations, a lot of the people didn't say anything. It's not like you have to give a speech or argue. My employer at the time also paid full wages while working jury duty so it got me out of work. If you still feel you can't do it, just explain that you have anxiety issues and can't think straight in environments like that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's somewhat calming to know a little about the whole process beforehand. Sounds like an interesting learning experience.

·
learning...
663 Posts
I haven't had to do this yet, but it's always been a source of anxiety.

·
Government Watch List
276 Posts
I was summons to jury duty and posted about it on this forum. Even though I wasn't picked, I didn't like it. It was still scary for me.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
You don't get bugged by lawyers and stuff; they actually know you are taking time out of your life for this - they are grateful if you show up. Well, it's mandatory, but they understand it. They also know what it is like to be a juror from the many cases you have. You are actually treated like special guests to be honest - they shield you from a lot of the crud that goes on.

If the lawyer does NOT look at you when passing by in the hallway, do NOT be offended. They technically have to do it as not to influence a juror! They have rules, too :).

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Eh, I was late once, and had to walk into court with everyone staring at me. Yeh, quite horrific. When they say you shouldn't work during JD - it's a good idea!

·
Single
347 Posts
I was part of the jury selection process and the scariest part for me was when I had to speak in front of 20+ people including lawyers to answer all the judge's questions... occupation, if you've ever been a victim of crime, have any biases etc...

I know I wasn't loud enough and the judge asked me to speak up but public speaking is not my thing. I tend to use a robotic voice and and stoic face in public speaking. Thank god the lawyer excused me cause I probably seemed "angry" or something.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been called in and I actually sat in on a trial for a few weeks as an alternate. It was entertaining and interesting. I felt kind of cool being a juror.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Listen to Homer Simpson:
"The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races."

:p

Can't actually fail TBQH. Just say you'd be biased against all sorts of people ^_^

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually got picked. It really isn't that bad at all. The most nerve-wracking part was the selection process. The judge asked if serving would cause any financial hardship, I said 'no' and was instantly placed on a jury. For one day a week you listen to cases and vote by raising your hand. The court system makes things as simple as possible for the jury.

·
Registered
50 Posts
well not exactly the same but il be going court as had my cheek bitten by a girl on my way back from celebrating my engagement with my fiance there was 3 of them and i was drunk and they were laughing at me so i started calling them names brave when im drunk compleate contrast to when im sober so was dragged to the ground and got my cheek bitten my fiance tried to pull them off but couldnt do much as they were girls lucky enough police showed up but now i have to face going to court and im terrified feel sick just thinking of it would much rather jury duty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts