Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My counselor stated that I come across as a judgmental person. The first thought that came to mind was that everyone is judgmental, but later I thought he might of meant that I may come across as overly critical of myself and to others. So I am wondering on what level of judgment a person must have before others view them as judgmental. Could it be possible to be overly judgmental? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being judgmental? I find that not judging is difficult since we live in a society where systems in place have a judgmental basis such as the school system and interview.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I think there's a difference between your judgments and the value you place in them. For instance, say you see someone overweight. You will think they are overweight and that is a judgment in the sense of an assessment. You can be very judgmental about it, in the sense that you think very poorly of them or attempt through ridicule or standoffishness to punish or socially isolate them, or you can see them as a person too giving no particular weight to your "judgment", and not presuming to measure their worth as a human being, or make assumptions about their strength of character and so on.

In the example you bring up, an interview, a hiring manager may determine that you are not fit for the position, and that is a judgment, an assessment. What they presume about you and your worth as a human being is hopefully a separate matter.

So in sum, I think you just may be confusing different senses of the word "judgment", and its important to disentangle them.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
what level of judgment a person must have before others view them as judgmental.
since psychology deals with impairment, one answer to this question is: that level of judgment which impairs your interaction with others and distorts your image of yourself. Plus, all the stuff Antireconciler said.

SA'ers feel like they are unfairly judged, and therefore don't like it when they're accused of being judgmental. With SA, judgment is a double-edged sword: we feel scrutinized and judged, and eventually become so familiar with it that we turn it around on others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts