Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all go through life making assumptions or judgments based on what we see. We may not mean to hurt someone, but judging a person negatively can result in hurt feelings. I thought I'd start this thread so we could talk about what makes us think a certain way and judge others without knowing them. Talk about a situation where you judged someone negatively, or where someone judged you. No holds barred, and don't hold back. Sometimes the best relationships are formed on an incorrect assumption. Get things off your chest here without feeling guilty. I'll start off.

When I see certain homeless people, I tend to think they're only using money for drugs or alcohol.

When I see a blond girl with nice clothes, I automatically assume she is more privileged than I am.

I tend to look down on people who don't pursue education.

I judge Scientologists and tend to think they're whackjobs.

If I see a mother with her child and she doesn't hold that child's hand while crossing the street, I condemn her as a bad mother.

If I see and older, wealthy white gentlemen, I will assume he's a jerk republican.

Well, I'm glad I've got that off my chest. Who's next?

·
Broken
54 Posts
Oh man, not sure that I should post here... I'll do it though.

I tend to assume that young, black men are stupid, violent thugs until they give me reasons to think otherwise.

I have a habit of thinking religious people are dumber than I am.

I usually think women with strong feminist views are frigid domineering *****es.

I assume that police are usually cruel, power-abusing thugs.

lol, that is enough for now.

·
Greenmail
4,205 Posts
According to a study people with SA who see people in neutral mouth positions or frowny etc, they interpret it as a threat.

I do have this thing where if they look frowny I assume they dont like me.

·
Bye SAS
1,774 Posts
I'm sorry to screw up your thread, but I honestly don't judge people very much. At most, if I see someone who I think is very attractive, I might judge them based on their looks and think they deem me as inferior or something. But that only happens when I'm feeling insecure :stu

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry to screw up your thread, but I honestly don't judge people very much. At most, if I see someone who I think is very attractive, I might judge them based on their looks and think they deem me as inferior or something. But that only happens when I'm feeling insecure :stu
That's all I needed. :) I think we all do that to a certain extent.

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,976 Posts
Whenever someone admits to being religious or spiritual (can't stand that word, btw), I assume that there's something wrong with their brain.
People who smoke are dirty.
People who recreationally use drugs are weak minded.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
i look down on baking as a hobby (upper middle class indulgence). and especially if that person (usually a girl) professes to be seriously health-conscious.

i really like to look at pretty clothes but i also look down slightly on people who wear them (partly because a small part of me is envious - but that is admitting too much)

when a person aspires to things in an optimistic naive way that they seem clearly incapable of to me, that makes me sad for them and kind of cringe internally

the kids that have seemed the most intelligent / empathic / interesting to me have all approximately been jewish. i openly connect the two things and doing so makes me feel on more even footing with the privileged and jewish but not distinctly intelligent kids (because then i think they have expectations to live up to which i don't. really i am kind of putting these expectations on them and feeling good about how they do not apply to myself). it's something like that anyway.

if a minority excels at something (like chess, or anything else where the group of people who excel the most are predominantly white and well off) i immediately want to research that person's life story and i automatically like them and want to know more about them.

anyone who is opinionated and loud but clearly not intelligent or thoughtful i want to run away from and avoid. if they are clearly intelligent i want to listen intently and try to learn and internalize how they talk.

asian soft-spoken people that make kind gestures i like. i like all the people who work in those asian produce markets, and who shop there, and who take the bus with me.

i like people who carry pets around when it doesn't seem necessary and they are just doing so because they don't want to be separated from their pet. (or the ones who stay home because they don't want to leave their dogs alone, but of course i wouldn't see or recognize them).

i look down on someone if they are too interested in a food item and how it tastes. (i have never tasted anything that seemed to merit the convulsive enthusiasm which i see routinely directed at food). i'm okay with excitement over the nutrition profile if it really is remarkable (like raw oysters or some kinds of liver or vegetables in the brassica family) but not about health buzzwords and especially not about the taste or healthiness of any kind of desert - that is the most irritating to me.

i look down on artificial excitement. so many people (not that many but some) seem like they are trying to be excited so hard and feel good feelings about something, anything, that they generate them about the most inane weirdest things. a lot (some) also try to fake some kind of interest in a question because they think being curious about a question is cool (it is among the educated upper-middle class), but what they get wrong is that they inquire about the wrong kind of question. the reason why this misstep occurs in the mind of the earnest human is because they do not discern the interesting questions from the most meaningless ones. i feel bad when this happens in my presence.

when someone does something mean but immediately regrets it but can't help doing the mean thing again i view them as conflicted / fighting with internal demons. it make me sad because they have good intentions but they are obstructed by these malicious impulses which they fail (but try) to suppress.

when someone appears to be suffering from SA i judge them as deserving a hug.

when someone is severely depressed i judge them as deserving an SSRI along with a hug (if they would want one).

i look down on the consumption of media or products for sensory stimulation (it's much more acceptable if it is for free though). but it's mostly the systems that facilitate the consumption that i have a real problem with, not the people who participate in it - though the most grievous participants i might look down on. because then i am like WHY??. you have so much. i understand the emulation of status and wealth through consumption more than i do the people who set the standards, or the blind consumption with no ostensible end but immediate gratification.

i look UP on iconoclasts or people with radical ideas that also fiercely oppose injustice and want equality and want society to be better for everyone and think it can be, and have ideas they are passionate about for how to go about achieving this.

·
Banned
2,727 Posts
i judge people who have little to no taste - they are fools
i judge people who dare not explore their own mind and wonder about their existence

·
Tell me more
1,782 Posts
I just judged some of the posters in this thread because their replies kind of annoyed me. I thought to myself, they sound very mean and condescending and I would never get along with some of them. Now I feel bad for thinking those thoughts. :no

·
Thinking of cleverness
3,184 Posts
Anyone I see with a smart phone, I tend to think comes from a middle-class or higher home

That Christians themselves are very judgmental to those who don't believe in god

That people who love dogs hate cats

People that smoke don't care about their health

Anyone who lives in a nice house must have a nice middle-class or high class life

Anyone with nice hair, clothes, whatever, has money

·
Banned
3,473 Posts
Lyric I love you, you somehow tend to make some really good **** starting threads. :lol

Most men are full of **** and has some kind of angle.

All women are full of **** and are "constantly" working plenty of angles.

All young people are hard-headed, immature, and have no respect.

Old people know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Beyond these judgments I really don't even care, I don't at "strangers" long enough to even judge them, if I don't speak with some one they don't exist in my mind they are no different than a ant or stray cat.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I think badly of people who are teenagers because i think they're gonna be mean to me.

I avoid single old guys, because i am afraid they want to date me or marry me. Because in my experience, they usually do.

I feel pity for people who have never heard of any music that's never been in the top 40 on the radio, and refuse to give anything a chance if they've never heard of it.

I think that people who have a lot of money shouldn't be complaining about how hard their life is.

I think very badly of people who are way better off than me financially, if they complain about how poor they are.

I think badly of people who look a lot like people who i used to know and i had a lot of problems with.

I immediately dislike anyone who asks me stuff like "What do you want to do with your life?" or "What did you go to school for?" or "Are you working?" and saying any of those things to me is exactly like telling me that they want me to completely avoid them for the rest of my life.

·
Winter is coming
2,650 Posts
When I see posh kids, I assume they are cut off from situations that happen outside their little rich-boy circles. And I don't feel bad about thinking this way, feel free to judge me.

·
whats up?~
1,356 Posts
if i see a child complaining to a parent in the store, or a parent giving a child something just to shut them up, i think the parent just spoils their child...

if someone has a nicer body or better looks, smarter, a better social life, or to be honest, has had a better sex life or sexual experience than I, I feel like i can not match to them and it can make me feel pathetic and weak and really make me rethink how I actually feel about myself. For example, there is this guy in the muscles thread who has a smoking hot body, could be a model I think, and I feel like crap because I only started 6 months ago and I can't even match...even though he probably been working out for a long time now...still makes me feel like crap haha

when a guy is really masculine looking or has a deep voice(especially if they are attractive), sometimes i feel like he must be a *******

when someone doesnt message me first, i feel like they arent interested in me

sometimes when i see a hot girl where i work and I have to ring her, i think she could possibly be a ***** and self-centered and stuck up...so i stay quiet and avoid eye contact and only say what i have too..

when i see a lady with her dog, and their dog is dressed up or something, or in this little bed in the shopping cart, i think the owner must be rich and probably spoils the dog and that the dog is more of an accessory than something they actually care for...

there are probably more but i cant think of them...

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lyric I love you, you somehow tend to make some really good **** starting threads. :lol

Most men are full of **** and has some kind of angle.

All women are full of **** and are "constantly" working plenty of angles.

All young people are hard-headed, immature, and have no respect.

Old people know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Beyond these judgments I really don't even care, I don't at "strangers" long enough to even judge them, if I don't speak with some one they don't exist in my mind they are no different than a ant or stray cat.
:lol I don't do it on purpose, believe it or not.

·
Banned
5,393 Posts
Can we really even talk about this without being reported? I dunno. Well i guess they're not personal attacks, so we'll see.
a few judgments that run through my head at times...

People who listen to rap/hip hop are not intelligent. In most but not all cases, i find this to actually be true.

People who need to pay for their education are incompetent. One does not need to attend a school and empty their wallets for the next 20 years to become more intelligent.

People who need a paid trainer to tell them how to get into shape are idiots.

Those who judge drug users are jealous of something.

Cell phone owners think they're important people.

Anti-gun people are usually masochists.

Adults who are fans of anime were probably spoiled as kids and never left their house. Probably never left their bedrooms. I pity them.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I assume all middle-aged men write my opinions off as worthless because I am young.

People who are quiet I judge as having sa.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts