Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do employers or managers let you down because they don't like your shy voice on the phone?

I'm interested in doing some voluntary work. I was put in touch with a woman manager that deals with volunteering in my area where I want to do some work. This volunteer manager phoned me and talked to me about what they do. She said she'll call me later in the week for an appointment for me to get interviewed and started. To be honest I sounded quite nervous on the phone and I tried to be nice although sometimes I giggled. She seemed fine then. I waited for that call and didn't hear anything from her so by the last weekend I phoned the place. She wasn't there and someone else said they'll leave a note for her to say that I called and they also said she'll definately get back to me. I waited and waited. I've not heard from her this week either. Now it's Friday. I haven't heard from her for 2 weeks and I get the feeling she judged me negatively going by my nervous telephone manner. This happens to me a lot.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Don't give up. I'd urge you to call her back next week, as soon as you can. Volunteering is a gift of someone's time, and most places do not have enough volunteers, and I would think they'd be happy to have as many as they can get.

I really hope I don't sound like I'm lecturing here, but I probably will anyway, so here goes. You're trying to mind-read - it's impossible to tell what is going on in someone else's head. you don't have any concrete evidence to back up your supposition. You have a hunch, but that's all, and it's coloured by so many factors that you have stored up, that don't really have anything to do with the situation at hand.

If you get nervous on the phone, write out what you want to say. Sounds silly, sure, but why not? go over your script beforehand, rehearse it. Something like,

"hello. I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything, so I called to ask if you'd still like me to do some volunteering?" etc etc, words to that effect. After you've read it enough that you feel bored by it, throw it away. then make the call. It will still be enough of it in your head that you will know what you want to say. Breathe, tell yourself "relax", and make the call. you decided to volunteer, you made the call in the first place, you have a right to know if you'll actually be made use of or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you reply and it's really helpful :)

No you didn't sound like you were lecturing me but giving some cool advice. That's what I'll do in future. You're right that I'm guessing that she was put off by my nervous voice on the phone. I'll give her a call next week.

·
Registered
336 Posts
To be honest I'm not sure in this situation that this is true. If it was a paid job, or completely phone related then maybe-but it is volunteering. She may have forgotten, gone on holiday or it may just take weeks to set up. People can be slow and/or incompetent!
Managers can be hard to track down and very busy. It may not be a priority and may have been put on one side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts