Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else watch this? I don't know why but for some reason the controversy around this show has intrigued me. I hardly ever watch TV and when I do it's almost never anything like this. But over the last couple months with the controversy going on and now the divorce I feel like a soap opera obsessed stay at home mom or something. I keep reading about the family online. haha it's kind of weird. Anyway, what is your take on the whole situation? Allegedly it's been said that they have been separated for 2 years now and until recently had been faking the entire show for the money. They're now multi-millionaires if you weren't aware. I do feel somewhat guilty watching the show however considering the impact all this will have on the kids (who are BTW ridicuously cute).

·
Registered
428 Posts
I never watched the show, but my nine-year-old son watched it all the time. He'd call me in occasionally, like when they went to Legoland. We marveled at how this family was getting paid to go to amusement parks and stuff each week. He's disillusioned since all the drama started, and is no longer interested . . . quite the opposite of my more tainted adult reaction -- suddenly I'm asking him what time it comes on! :OD

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
I feel slightly ashamed of this,but I could never watch that show-it made me feel depressed because everyone seemed so happy.- Guess that just goes to show things are seldom what they appear to be!

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I never watched it. Honestly, I don't like shows like that. By that, I mean reality shows, especially ones with young children.
Now, I'm quite happy that it be going off. I don't like anyone who sits around and let's a camera follow their children for the money, because that's what they're doing. Are they not thinking of how this show (being filmed and such) and/or the controversy surrounding it might affect the children?

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I've watched it pretty regularily for several years now, it's hard not to when at any given moment there is a 47% chance a rerun is playing on TLC. I watched it when I had nothing better to do, and the adorableness of the kids and Kate's OCD antics were enough to not change the channel.

This whole thing over the last few months is just sad. Plain and simple, for everyone involved. I'm not sure about all of the allegations, living seperately for years and cutting family members out of their lives and all this, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. The divorce ep made me tear up.

Yes, Kate seems difficult to live with. No, I don't understand why Jon quietly put up with her antics for 10 years. It might be played up by the show, and it's not like he didn't have his faults as well. They did seem happily married when you watch old clips of them and stuff, no matter what happened or who strayed, that just makes me sad.

·
Remarkable
1,043 Posts
I've always watched.

This is sad to say, but I guess I relate to them in some way. Minus the reality show, millions, and sextuplets.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I've only started to watch recently when I found out where they lived because I'm pretty familiar with that area and always kind of liked it around there. Other than that I wouldn't watch it. That episode though with the Orange County Chopper guys was good. It was funny watching Kate speeding up and down the driveway on the pink scooter and Jr freaking out...

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
I don't watch it. But I kept seeing them on tabloids e.g people, us weekly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been watching it since the beginning. Its horrible to see what has happened. On camera they really have turned into different people. It seems all they care about is doing the show and making money (since I believe they both said the show is their job)

I feel so bad for the kids. Who knows whats true about the cheating and stuff. I think they should stop doing the show when their contract is up.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I seldom watch that show, but when I do, I don't mind it. The kids are kind of cute, but they can get really annoying really fast. I don't mind Kate that much, she's a smart woman from what I've seen, albeit a little obnoxious. I don't find John that tolerable at all.

I watched the one episode when they were announcing their divorce. I hated how evasive they were about it. Completely vague. And John has the spew the cliche: "I don't know why people care about this when we have soldiers dying in the Middle East!"

Well, John, I have news for you; when you put yourself out there for the whole entire continent of North America to see, odds are people will become interested in you. You are letting a camera crew INTO YOUR HOUSE! For the amount of money he's making when all they have to do is bicker with each other and look after the squealing kids he doesn't need to complain. Gawd.

I didn't hear about the
dax said:
Allegedly it's been said that they have been separated for 2 years now and until recently had been faking the entire show for the money.
thing. But honestly I don't doubt it's real because all the shows I've watched with them John and Kate don't seem like they can tolerate each other. Although my mother said that they did renew their marriage vows in front if their children last year. Pity.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I seldom watch that show, but when I do, I don't mind it. The kids are kind of cute, but they can get really annoying really fast. I don't mind Kate that much, she's a smart woman from what I've seen, albeit a little obnoxious. I don't find John that tolerable at all.

I watched the one episode when they were announcing their divorce. I hated how evasive they were about it. Completely vague. And John has the spew the cliche: "I don't know why people care about this when we have soldiers dying in the Middle East!"

Well, John, I have news for you; when you put yourself out there for the whole entire continent of North America to see, odds are people will become interested in you. You are letting a camera crew INTO YOUR HOUSE! For the amount of money he's making when all they have to do is bicker with each other and look after the squealing kids he doesn't need to complain. Gawd.

I didn't hear about the

thing. But honestly I don't doubt it's real because all the shows I've watched with them John and Kate don't seem like they can tolerate each other. Although my mother said that they did renew their marriage vows in front if their children last year. Pity.
I agree with every single thing in your post.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's just weird because they did seem generally happy in previous seasons- they did have their moments and Kate could get kind of abrasive at times but they it seemed like they were in it for the long-haul. I think it's the excessive money that tore them apart really. Just a season or two ago they were in a fairly small house and Jon went to a normal job every day. I think all of a sudden they didn't really need each other to pay the bills and take care of the kids anymore- so they drifted apart and started thinking more of themselves and less of their family. I think the show probably destroyed them, actually. It's sad but at the same time I find it hard to find any sympathy for them- I mean they had a lot of things I will never have, like kids or a significant other or anything. I guess mainly I feel bad for the kids being pawns in all of this.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Makes me glad I thought the show was stupid from the start and never watched. But I've felt sorry for Jon on various occasions. How does he put up with Kate?

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
I've watched in since 2007. I even named my cat Leah after their cute lil daughter Leah. It's probably for the best that they divorce. They are just too different. It's weird cuz like after only seeing a few shows i had this strong intuitive feeling that they weren't gonna make it. But now they can focus on being partners as parents and still respect each other for that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts