Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this disorder for awhile now. I wanted to ask what anyone thought about joining toastmasters?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I visited several toastmasters clubs in my city, but i was only at firsts meeting in each club so didn't participate. Now i am thinking to join it though, i would like to start doing some group thing. The atmosphere is very different in each club, there were ones with bigger or smaller groups so i am thinking to choose the club with fewer members to start from. Most part of members have very poor public speaking skills as i've noticed also some were doing very well.
I did have one embarrassing moment nevertheless )) at one club i was asked a question and you are required to go on a stage in front of everyone to answer it. I wasn't ready for it at that time as i thought i would be only listener so i didn't say much. People saw that i was struggling to find an answer so helped me and basically answered it for me )) Remember that the reason why people join toastmasters is they have poor communicative and public speaking skills so i think they could understand me.
Question was really stupid, it sounded like "Bill Gate's house", not even a question. Later at evaluator said to the girl who wrote questions that she must have asked questions that actually sounded like questions. And to me he said that i did very well for the first time and there were some people who couldn't say a word on a stage.
After this happened i was discouraged for a while to go to those clubs but i am ok now since i feel much better in terms of my anxiety as i started new medication. Just you have to be ready to talk even at first meeting and make yourself calm and relaxed before going there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts