Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many months ago someone (I don't remember her name, I don't think she still posts) mentioned the Jaycees might be a good option for younger people with SA.

In May I bit the bullet and went to a local meeting. A couple weeks ago I went to the next meeting and signed up as a member. I struck up a conversation with someone at the meeting and ended up getting invited to a party. I made myself go -- the first hour was really rough, but eventually I made some introductions and had a little bit of conversation. This month I'm volunteering at one event for the group and planning another one. Hopefully later this summer I'll get more into the swing of things.

I recommend people do some research and see if it might be something worthwhile for them. In the end you'll have to actually go to a meeting and see if it holds your interest. For me, I was on the fence at first but spending a little more time around it made me want to get more involved.

Not sure how much of a "triumph" it is for me, but it's probably worth posting here. Now, if I can finally force myself to go to Toastmasters...

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Contrats mountain5! That's great that you were able to go to that party. I've never heard of the Jaycees. I'll have to look into it.

This month I'm volunteering at one event for the group and planning another one.
Best of luck with those! :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Awesome, Mountain5! :boogie :boogie :boogie

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I wrote about that. Yes, only people under 40 can join and I'm near that by another year although it doesn't seem like I would be. I wish I heard of it earlier. That is a really big triumph to go! It sounds like a great place to socialize or learn to socialize more and network, volunteer because you want to, or for work experience and to put that on your resume, and also you can develop leadership skills in time. They have several purposes I think where people go for different reasons. Some people probably go for leadership skills and others for socializing, etc. but there is nothing wrong with having a different main purpose than others. I think there are different types of leaders and I wonder if they teach the various kinds (although there is no set system or there are many systems) and what kind you are which would be great as I think many people default to thinking that they don't have the "type" of personality to be one, but everyone actual has a different style they fit into and everyone's personality is a bit stretchable as well. Eventually you can figure out what kind you are. MyerrsBriggs talks of this too I think for the different types of people. But that is a big triumph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts