Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the group on meetup.com, my therapist recommended that I try to find something on there. I rsvpd to a meetup at this restaurant in NW D.C, and I'm a little nervous, theirs not gonna be anybody I know there. And what if there speaking Italian the whole time, I don't speak italian that much. Technically I don't speak italian at all, it's sicilian which is considered a dialect but technically is it's own language. What if they laugh at my Sicilian, even my cousin in sicily laughed at my sicilian, or worse what they don't understand it at all. What if I don't understand them at all, I can usually understand when my mom and dad speak Sicilian, but a lot of the time I can't understand my uncle, I don't know a lot of words when you think about, I have trouble translating a lot of stuff. Most of the time I mix siclian with english. And I can't understand proper italian, unless it's basic italian. I don't know that I even want to try now that I think about it. What if it turns out horrible.

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
i think its a good idea. think about how great it would be if you made a freind from that group, and you enjoyed going to the meetups

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But what if it's all in Italian and I can't understand them at all.

·
SAS Member
1,667 Posts
I'm not suggesting it's going to be a painless experience to begin with. You will never know what it's going to be like untill you are there. But your intention is the important thing. You are there because you are hopefull that it could turn out to be something good. Maybe you won't be able to understand them, maybe you will, maybe you will only be able to understand a few words. They may even chase you out of the property with knives the moment you walk in. You don't know, untill you go. maybe you will meet your future wife through someone you get to know there.
just keep your intention in your mind. you are there because you hope to get to know good people, you would like to make new friends, because you are interested in italian and italian culture. there is nothing wrong with that, it's a great idea, just stay true to those intentions.

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I totally understand your fears. It's very difficult to enter a group where you don't know anyone.

I would make it a goal to simply attend the meeting. IMO, that's really the important step because that's where you'll actually confront the fear, and hopefully tell it to take a hike. You know the saying, 90% of life is "just" showing up.

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am worried because I'm not going to know anybody but I'm also worried just because I don't know what I signed up for. If their talking the whole night and I don't understand any of it that can't be good. But I am going, hopefully they won't speak Italian the whole night, if they do then I guess it's not the end of the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts