Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had three gym memberships over my lifetime and the last one I never went. I dont want that to happen this time.

I signed a 2 year commitment which I really didnt want to do but just signed it anyway. Its $30 a month and its a brand new huge place that just opened up.

I want to recommit myself to working out. All through my 20s I worked out all the time but slowed to a complete stop over my 30s. Now that I am 40, I want to go back to doing it. Well I have been using the treadmill but more sporadically then regularly.

The gym isnt far, about a 10 minute drive and its a stellar facility. I want to begin by having a goal of 3 times per week at the gym. I am dying to use the elliptical, I love that. I have a home treadmill but have been getting bored with it. I still plan to use the home treadmill on days that I am NOT going to the gym. My goal is to workout a total of 5 days per week.

I hope I didnt just waste money. :( I am not trying to be negative but the last time I failed at this, and that was a couple of years ago. :sigh

I am going to go for my first time in about 40 minutes. No time like the present, right?

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
That sounds great! I wish I could afford to join a gym...I'll have to stick with going out walking and running for the moment - exercise always does wonders for my mood. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds great! I wish I could afford to join a gym...I'll have to stick with going out walking and running for the moment - exercise always does wonders for my mood. Good luck with it!
Thanks.

I just got back from working out.

I havent used an elliptical in at least 2 or more years and I was shocked at the discomfort in my left knee. I thought ellipticals were easier on your knees than a treadmill is. I could only do it for 20 minutes not because I was fatigued by my knee couldnt take any more. :( I am disheartened by that. I ended up doing that for 20, speed walking on the tread for 30 (well not at first, I had to let my knee recover a bit) and 10 minutes on really cool machine I had never seen before. Its a bike, which I never have liked, but there is a vid screen with it that simulates riding in a track in a race. That was pretty cool!! I did some light weights, a few weight machines and then left.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I've always wanted to join a gym, but thought it was too expensive. Is it a 24-hour gym?
Only Mon - Friday. I had a Zero Enrollment fee coupon from my job and felt the $30 a month wasnt too bad, AS LONG AS I use it. :eyes That is going to be the tricky part.

·
:/
957 Posts
Looks like a great workout for your first time at a new gym. I've never used an elliptical before, but maybe your body just wasn't ready for a long workout with that machine. I notice others with the same problem: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/404933-knee-pain-elliptical.html

When I first did a stationary bike for 30min, my legs were really hurting after and for a couple of days later. Every other time I've used it, I've never had that kind of pain. Now I do some stretching which may also be helping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I switched from using the tread mill everyday to using the elipticle. I like it a lot better. The treadmill killed my knees.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had three gym memberships over my lifetime and the last one I never went. I dont want that to happen this time.

I signed a 2 year commitment which I really didnt want to do but just signed it anyway. Its $30 a month and its a brand new huge place that just opened up.

I want to recommit myself to working out. All through my 20s I worked out all the time but slowed to a complete stop over my 30s. Now that I am 40, I want to go back to doing it. Well I have been using the treadmill but more sporadically then regularly.

The gym isnt far, about a 10 minute drive and its a stellar facility. I want to begin by having a goal of 3 times per week at the gym. I am dying to use the elliptical, I love that. I have a home treadmill but have been getting bored with it. I still plan to use the home treadmill on days that I am NOT going to the gym. My goal is to workout a total of 5 days per week.

I hope I didnt just waste money. :( I am not trying to be negative but the last time I failed at this, and that was a couple of years ago. :sigh

I am going to go for my first time in about 40 minutes. No time like the present, right?
:b I do not like gym, i love to go out..................... :clap:clap

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldnt go yesterday or today due to super long work hours and look forward to going tomorrow. I dont pay attention to anyone or anything around me when I am there; I put on my headphones and concentrate soley on what I am doing.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I went with a friend to the gym on Thursday. I wouldn't have wanted to go the first time on my own. :)afr)

I liked it. I used to go when I was an undergrad. I've been attempting to jog everyday along the Rhine and I need to start using the weight machines.

It's 50 euros a month and I've been debating whether or not I wanted to pay it. I'd hate to pay that much and not go. Plus, my friend would want to go with me and I think it's something I'd want to do on my own...

What do you think, Penny? Is it worth the money?

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm that is a lot!!! 50 Euros to American is 67.15. I am not sure I would have signed up if it were that much. If you go all the time its still worth it, if you calculate the per visit cost. I thought the 30 I was paying was about the limit of what I would have paid. But maybe that is the going rate over there??

I personally dont subscribe to the "gym buddy" system. Back in my late 20s when I worked out a lot, I tried to work out with a friend that I had at that time but it wasnt for me. I am one who likes to fly solo, I have enough experience in this to know that about me. I like to get into my own zone and not be bothered. I know the gym buddy system works well for lots of people; but, no big surprise, I am not one of them.

Being that I own a treadmill, I like the fact that the gym offers the ellipitcal, the bike and of course the weight machines. So they have the variety I need but I can still do some cardio at home if I am short on time, which is an issue at times. I have always been more of a cardio person but I know I have to do a lifting program also. So I do think its worth it. You can buy machines and free weights but the cost and storage factors are real deterrents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts