Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
bored to death
154 Posts
I love Hurt by Johnny Cash. Pretty much sums up my life. I remember my only uncle was dying of a brain tumor when that video just came out on tv. Yeah it's kind of depressing - but that's reality.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the beast in me is a great song by him, i heard it on a youtube video highlighting the career of boxer jake lamotta. it was actually really moving, ill post a link if i find it.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
this video/version of "hurt" is fantastic

reznor's reaction to johnny's cover: "I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore… It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning - different, but every bit as pure"
very interesting.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
as for johnny cash, i grew up listening to his music a lot when my grandfather and dad would play his records.
i've listened to 'at folsom prison' the most in the recent years so the most memorable/favourite song at the moment would be "folsom prison blues".

i should go listen to him now..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Cash has a really good take on the song. He has a really awesome voice in this as well.

I love Reznors version too. His vocals really aren't as powerful as cash's, but at the same time the music isn't as dramatic, and has more build-up. It just sounds like something made by someone in a really bad place. If someone with a bad drug addiction was isolated from everyone and made a song about it I think it would sound more like Reznors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts