Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys deal with working/getting a job? My anxiety peeks when I just ask for an application and I've never had a job interview, the thought just terrifies me. What kind of jobs are best with SA? Have any of you guys gotten a job that wasn't so good for SA, but you still managed pretty well at it? The only job I had was behind the scenes and didn't require an interview but the slow down in business took it away :(

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
My job history is as follows:

At 17 worked as a Janitor for 6 months.
Pros:
- Worked at night.
- Didn't see many people.
- Worked independently of other employees.
Cons:
- No use of social skills.
- Night time schedule, messes up sleep pattern.
- No room for advancement.
- You have no dignity.
- Come into contact with lots of chemicals.

---

At around 19 I worked at Starbucks for a three day stint.
Pros:
- Cleaner environment.
- Better pay.
Cons:
- Super extroverted atmosphere.
- Constant attention with public required.
- Have to deal with snobby latte drinkers.

---

At 21 I worked for my family's tax business for a season.
Pros:
- Only answered to family members.
- No concern about not doing good enough for the boss.
- Didn't have to work with customers.
- Was given free anonymity to do work as I saw fit.
Cons:
- Complaint's go unheard because you're "family".
- Pay was less than minimum wage.

---

At 22 I worked at the electronics retailer, Circuit City as a sales person.
Pros:
- Forced to learn social skills.
- Got better at dealing with all types of people.
- Learned sales skills, how to influence people.
Cons:
- Had to deal with hateful customers.
- Was under pressure from boss to sell more.
- Was required to be super extroverted and approach every customer.
- Was required to have extensive product knowledge with zero training.

---

All in all I'd say retail was the worst. Customers will take things personally and will get a pleasure out of breaking you down. (some customers come in just do this). This ranged from general rudeness, name calling to physical threats.

The job I liked best was working as a janitor. I'd probably have kept that job a lot longer if it wasn't for not having to deal with the owners son who was verbally abusive. (I had no means of addressing this problem since it was the owners son).

Working for my family was pressure free - but I wasn't really paid or respected since I wasn't a real employee.

I think the best theoretical job for someone who has severe SA would be something that doesn't involve much contact like a janitorial job but is also a family business.

Hopefully you can take something away from my work history and piece together yourself a plan.

As far as getting a job, I always apply online. This is the required application method for most places I go to and also the most comfortable way for me.

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
I like behind-the-scenes jobs. I've worked as a shipper/receiver which I think is a great job for an introvert. You still have to work along side co-workers but I get so much time to myself, I love it.

I have a job interview coming up for another ship/rec job downtown in a big corporate high-rise. I'm so scared to go, but the job is easier, less stressful, and better pay/hours.

I once worked for a call center and quite after two weeks because I just absolutely could not stand talking to people. I hate conversation so much, I'd do anything to avoid it. Some jobs are definitely not for people with SA, that's for sure. Some people could probably survive them, but not me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I really need to get a jon to pay for college, but I don't know how many part time jobs there are near me that I can handle.

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here in Mississippi there aren't many outstanding opportunities as it is. I put a couple in on the internet, but I haven't gotten called back and I had to go to the library to put those in cus I don't have internet on my computer, I just have mobile. There aren't many places here that even have the online option. I think my lack of work looks bad being 23 now and you can't exactly explain SA to them unless you get a chance to. What kind of places can you do the shipping/rec. thing? Also, I have tattoos on my arms, 3, so that doesn't help things much. Willing to cover them, just gotta find a place to work. I feel like I'm gonna go insane if I don't get a job.

·
Drinking
370 Posts
I've never had a job because I don't have any friends. It's not what you know, it's who you know, and I know no one.
Sorry can't help you.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I've never had a job because I don't have any friends. It's not what you know, it's who you know, and I know no one.
Sorry can't help you.
Pretty much. Of the four jobs I had, one was through family, the other through a brothers friend.

My brother recently got a job - only reason he got it was because his friend's brother owned the business.

·
The Tragic Princess
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry can't help you.
What does getting a job have to do with friends? I mean, you put in an application and either get called back or not and if so go to an interview. Friends have told me about possible jobs, but they're not the driving factor as to whether I get it or not. I still have to go and put in the app. and then do the job myself. I would like though, for my mom to take me and come with me to ask for applications cus that would make it easier for me to do, but I've done it without her before too and my parents don't care about me. I also don't really have a family, so there's no chance of me getting in a family business. My family on my mom's side lives 3 hours away and they just judge me and are all money hungry and I've met my dad's side like 3 times, they're majorally alcoholics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

at the time when I started my first job applications it was pretty hard and of course also very frustrating when I got my first refusals! The good thing was that I had developed some routine how to handle my job interviews. After about four or five applications I got my first job. That was about one year ago and I'm still working here.

I'm an Electronics Technician in a smaller Hightech-Company. Of course there are some social situations to handle but not too much. I think it's the right amound of social interaction and it's very seldom that I'm unable to cope!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
What does getting a job have to do with friends?
your right, you technically don't need friends to "meet qualifications" and apply. What he means is friends gets you in above everyone else. You could have all the qualifications and another person can have none, but if that other person knows some one with influence in where he wants to work he will be held in higher regard than anyone else.

I overheard a conversation when my class was filling up one day, there is a girl at my school who has some kind of nursing certification, not sure what, and can't get a job. Another student she knows here has the job she wants and has absolutely nothing but a high school diploma, that's because one of her friends mom works at that hospital and got her in.

You will not need friends to get a job in some situations, you will not need them to be qualified, or apply, or have a chance at it. But if you are unfortunate enough to have a person that "knows somebody who knows somebody" applying for the same position you are, then you are out of luck unless you can look really impressive.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
Interviews terrify me too. I had my first interview for my first job, last year. (I am now not in that job now, I only stayed for a few weeks at that job, mostly the probation period, apparently I wasn't quick enough at my job so I quit.)
My advisor on this training course thing i went too got me this job, It was working in TK MAXX distribution centre. She came with me to the interview and when I was going to quit my job she told me they had told her I was one of the best people they had interviewed lol I was shocked she said that. I felt like I had failed it, but it made me feel good that out of a certain amount of people I was one of the best. I don't remember talking much in the interview but still they liked me lol weird.

Anyway I am looking for another job. the thought of another interview terrifies me, but then I think postive and think hey I may be one of the good ones they have interviewed like at the other job. The thought of having to phone up a company terrifies me and going to pick up an application form somewhere.

At the TX MAXX distributon centre job. It was hard like working to targets and working fast but I didn't have to answer phones/deal with customers or anything. I had to price clothes/put sucerity tags on them and put them onto this metal bar and you had to have a certain amount of clothes/certain number of the sizes etc that it told you on the ticket thingy and then the bar would go down to the next floor ready for dispatch. They did find mistakes with my work and I used to get told off lol it was hard.
The social side to the job. Well, people are working so hard that you didn't really have time to talk to the other collegues, or I wouldn't have wanted too because I'd only get distracted and make a mistake and then you ain't working fast enough because you are talking. And you can't really hear what people are saying because they had music bluring out. Oh yeah and most of the people were polish they couldn't talk english much and they stuck to their own kind.

So I think a warehouse job would be good. Not for the target/quickness of the job but the social thing. your too busy to talk and most warehouses contain foreigners that can't really talk english.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry can't help you
This is my problem every time the "list your refrences" section comes up... yea im pretty much screwed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sorry can't help you.
that's so true, and i don't think it should be based on that. :( It's so hard to find a simple job, even a minimum wage job. I'm sure if i had like 50 friends i would've had a job since i was a kid. But i have zero friends.....life sucks so bad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is my problem every time the "list your refrences" section comes up... yea im pretty much screwed.
Yeah mine too. Only one of the jobs I've had required references. When I was interviewed to work at the library it was pretty intense, which suprised me since I was only applying for a shelving position where all you do is shelve books all day. But the lady asked me all kinds of questions, like what were my positive experiences from past jobs, what I thought I had to offer to the library, etc. I had to take a test to see if I could use a computer and access the library's e-mailing system, where staff get messages from other staff and special bulletins or whatever. I had to e-mail a paragraph to the woman interviewing me explaining why I wanted to work at the library. THEN after all that I had to wait while she called to verify 3 of my references. When she told me that I broke out into a sweat because I didn't actually think she would do that. Two of my references were old highschool teachers that I got along with, but that was 2 years prior and I panicked thinking what if they didn't even remember me?!? The other reference was my former boss who I barely talked to. I was very surprised when she came back and told me my references were fine and that I got the job.

Working at the library was pretty good since you're not expected to interact with customers. I ended up quitting to go back to school but regret not keeping at least a weekend shift. It was the best job I had for my SA, and it paid decent too. Now if I want to reapply I have to go through the interview process all over again even though I worked there before. Which SUCKS. I don't have any references for them to call, I never got close to any of my coworkers or managers from past jobs and I have no friends. I feel weird about putting people who I'm not close with as references even though I worked with them for a while. I can imagine them being called up and asked about me thinking, "Why did that loser put me as her reference? We're not friends."

The jobs I have now I got by chance, without a resume, references, or interview. I just walked in, asked if they were hiring, which they were, and started pretty much the next day. Waitress and retail. But I hate them, and the thought of quitting is always on my mind, like how much torture I can withstand lol. I don't know if it's me, but I can never seem to get along with my bosses, I always seem to get the scary, mean, uptight bosses. Both of my managers right now are such patronizing B****es. One of them, while I was standing right there, complained to my coworker that I "Never remember anything", and then proceeded to make a face. Like WTF? Hellooo, I'm standing right here! B*tch.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Both of the jobs that I had were crap, with crap pay.:no

I don't really have problems with interviews, since they really just involve answering questions. And there is not much of a conversation required.

I totally go mute when I work though; employees constantly interact with each other, and I remain with my mouth shut. The reason I totally go mute is because of my lack of confidence in social skills. I feel totally depressed when others interact, and I go mute everyday of work. Because of this, Everyday of work I can't wait to go home. I don't feel as depressed when I get home; It actually fills me up with a little bit of happiness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts