Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one getting to a point in life, it's almost embarrassing to be looking for work? I was watching Office Space......(I know a comedy, but..) one of the men said "What happens if we're doing this when we're 50"............I'm starting to wonder, when I just accepted life.........Career vs job..........I think at 50 if you have some respect making a decent livng, who cares.........

Anyone else 40is starting to look for employment?

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, I had the more common deal where they look to get rid of you when you arrive at 50 years old. After I lost one long standing job, it was close to impossible to even get an interview. I never did manage to get anything except some car sales jobs. I was terrible at that.

Hee hee, a SA person trying to sell cars!!! I did sell some but I got less successful as time went on. They kept firing me for not being "aggressive". Worked out like I thought it would but I was desparate to get some kind of income.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have an Experience Works out there, or Greenthumb? It's an employment agency that caters to "Older" workers............

That sucks, I've known several people this happened to...........8 cap here, fired a bunch of "Older" workers, they got a class action suit against them, shh, not supposed to know that;-)

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
I don't know that I've been discriminated against because of my age, but at my last job I was some 20 years older than a lot of the other engineers I was working with. That's not why I quit, though. I couldn't compete because of my insomnia, not my age.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My husband is 40 and is looking for work. However, he has no education, and he has very little experience in computers, where he wants to find a job. It's all due to his SA, he's not able to function at school, and his work history isn't good either. So no you are not alone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm nowhere near 40 (my mother's in her mid 40's) but I already feel like I am too old to still be looking for work. It doesn't help that in Cincinnati young professionals are very visible and that most of city council is in their 30's. I feel like I should have accomplished more by now, especially with all the opportunities that were available to my generation

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm in my mid-fifties, divorced, haven't worked for almost 21 years now because my husband wanted me at home, and now I'm not able to work... at least not outside the home because the SA is so bad... I have no marketable skills any longer (I used to be in accting but was told I'd need to learn several things to do with computers that I know nothing about), major back problems, severe depressions and have no idea what I'm supposed to do about all that.

The only thing I've come up with is to do some sewing at home and sell it over the internet, but I'm unable to finish getting the things I need in order to finish setting it all up.

Yep, getting older and not having a career is the pits!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts