Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 17 years old - it's about time I get a part-time job. I do most applications online, in part because of my SA but also because that's what the hiring managers suggest I do.

Does anyone have advice on how to at least get my foot in the door? I've been told to "harass" and bother the managers, so they'll remember you...and see your determination, haha... but I find that difficult to do. As someone with SA, how easy is it for any of you to snag a job?

I received a call-back the other day but wasn't home and no one answered the phone. I'm afraid to call back and...get interviewed! (Oh No!) So my other question is: What advice can any of you give to control your SA (at least for a job interview)?

I have difficulty making eye contact, trembling from nervousness, stuttering, blushing, timidness, and horrible and severe brain farts. :blank But I musn't let this control my life any further! Help please!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If they call you back, they want you to work for them. EVERYBODY has to go through the interview process to get a job. If you want the job hard enough, you can take control of your SA for the interview. Just relax and you will do fine.

·
Social SADcase
290 Posts
Honesty (with yourself) plays a HUGE role in this sort of thing, it breeds confidence and will allow you to look another man in the eyes just fine. It's what helped me to get a full time job after 15 years of unemployment.

Being honest allowed me to be more empathic and get on well with people, in my role as a "support Worker" it was a great idea for me to get onto doing night shifts where you have less social interaction and difficult scenarios.

IN interviews you relax, realise you are not perfect but know that you have some great points to your character and try to get them across at the interview. Show them you are keen. I know they can be a bit scary but it's all about how you come across.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Hello :)! Props on getting a job; it's great that you're towards getting healthy. The best advice I've gotten about job hunting is not put all your eggs in one basket. Fill out several applications. Try Google for job interviewing tips. Usually, the most anxious you will be is when you first get out there. But the more you interview, the less nervous you'll become. When I first started working, I was nervous. I was shaky and afraid of what might happen with co-workers (if they would be criticize me.) But I keep going and after awhile, I got used to it; loved it really (it was daycare.) The hardest step is the first step, but be brave-you can push past the anxiety. God bless :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.