Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone participated in any extracurricular activities that have helped your shyness?
Have you had any jobs that forced you to talk to people and that really helped you overcome some of your anxiety?

I took improv class and I feel that helped a LITTLE. I took a program at one place and then i started another program but i again felt shy and out of place and alone. I wasn't very good at improv, needless to say.

I also just started a job and it requires a lot of client interaction on the phone. I am HOPING this will help. I plan to go to law school next year and I want to "improve" myself before then.

Anybody have any good ideas for activities or jobs that help with shyness?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I worked as a receptionist at a spa/salon over the summer. It was frightening at first to answer customer calls, but I got used to it. I didn't enjoy it a whole lot, but I got a little used to talking to strangers.

·
Banned
196 Posts
My job has been a major help in overcoming SAD. I basically drive around picking up mail/parcels from businesses, something like a courier. It's made me much more confident in just striking up conversations with people, although it was really hard at first. It's good because if you don't want to talk, you can just say hello, get the stuff and leave, but over time people get used to you being there and start talking to you more. Plus I get to see a lot of people, so if I have an awkward/bad experience with someone, there's bound to be a nice person further along to bounce back with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My last fear to conquer was public speaking and I joined Toastmasters to deal with that. To earn your "Competent Communicator" designation, you have to give 10 speeches. That terrified me, but the people in the group were supportive and they wanted you to do well. My first speech, I felt like someone was choking me and could hardly get the words out. Shook like a leaf. But each speech got a tiny bit easier and by the time I got to #10, it didn't bother me at all.
Oh, i looked into toastmasters and sat in on 2 meetings and i didn't like it. i guess it may have been that particular group i went to. it was just that the people there were all older than me and a couple of them seemed weird. maybe i am being a snob. you really recommend it huh? also i wonder if my fear made me run away....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hushhush, if it is any consolation, I too ran away from the first Toastmasters group I joined. The people were nice and positive, but I just wasn't ready at the time. I gave one speech, but shook and trembled so badly that I couldn't make myself do any more. A couple of years later, because I was embarrassed to go back to the first group, I went to another one. But I didn't feel like I fit in with that one. That time though, I was determined not to give up. So I went to another group. This time, I felt like I was at home and could really relate to the people in the group. In that environment, I was able to do the 10 speeches. And what a feeling of accomplishment that was! My confidence level really skyrocketed and I still have my ribbons and lapel pin from my CC designation.

So like Goldilocks (of "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears" fame) it took me three tries before I found a group that was "just right". So yes, I do recommend it. I would urge you to seek out a group with which you feel comfortable because it does make a big difference. In the meantime, you might want to check out http://www.toastmasters.org/ because they have some terrific tips on public speaking. That might also be good preparation for you before you visit another group because you'll feel more comfortable if you know what to expect.

I hope this helps! Best wishes to you in law school - I know you'll do well :)

Kim
Thanks Kim. I think after i get all these applications done I will look into it again. It's great that you were so brave and did not back down! good job.
PS that aside about Goldilocks cracked me up, "of 'Goldilocks and the three bears' fame" Hee hee

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have been working at a Gamestop for the last 3 years, and since it forces me to speak to customers it has helped immensely. But I'm still basically useless in social situations.

·
Banned
51 Posts
i worked at a movie theater a few years ago, it was great for the most part, except for dealing with huge lines of angry, impatient people lol. it was hard not to talk to the other workers there, and if you had nothing to say you could always talk about the movies :)

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Jobs involving the public have helped me. I've worked at a lottery booth serving customers and as an office assistant at a college (had me dealing with teachers and students a lot).

I'd suggest giving retail a go, some place where you don't have to make sales pitches or pressure people to buy (no commission).

Just think, you're being paid to do exposure therapy~

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was a student ambassador at my old school. I had to attend a lot of school functions, and doing so helped to relieve some of my shyness. I had to give tours to a group of about twenty prospective students. I also had to interact with the "big people" at the college. Such as the deans, presidents, professors, etc.... So it gave me the opportunity to speak with people of all ages and professions. And I also developed friendships with the other ambassadors. Very good experience, I found out that in order to overcome my shyness I sometimes have to put my self in situations that I'm not comfortable with. One of the only ways to overcome a fear is to face it.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
When i worked in sales at a music store it helped my social anxiety a lot, I was forced to talk to people in order to make money. It wasn't easy at first going up to strangers but it did desensitize me alot.Id recommend a job in retail its a good place to start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts