Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I started trying to teach myself web design but stopped after learning a little html, dreamweaver 4 and a little bit of photoshop 6. Like I said it was a few years ago.

I graduated over the summer with a degree in English and the only thing I seem qualified to do is to be an editor. When I look at publishing companies for editorial jobs, I also see a lot of desktop publishing and graphic design jobs.

Now here's the twist. Eventually I would like to go to grad school and get a degree in public history or maybe even art history and work at a museum as an archivist or a curator. You have to go to grad school to get those jobs and I didn't have the grades to get in right away nor do I have the money. I would like to get some work experience as well as volunteer with the san diego historical society as a research assistant and get some writings published either through sabr (society for american baseball research) or through another historical publishing venue.

In the meantime though I need a job. Theoretically I could make money doing freelance writing but then I would have to think about being able to get health insurance and other things one doesn't have to think about at a regular steady job. When factoring in my dad who keeps urging me to work for a big company it gets even more complicated. My dad would not want me to have freelance writing be my primary source of income. I told him about the volunteer opportunity at the San Diego historical society and the first thing he said was "Can you make any money at this?" :mum He completely disregarded the fact that this would be a nice thing to put on my resume when I finally apply for an archivist job, the thing I really want to do eventually.

Should I simply keep searching for an editorial assitant job or is there a way I could learn desktop publishing and graphic design without spending a whole lot of cash. I thought about downloading free trial versions of some programs and trying to learn them all in a month or however long the free trials last. Is that possible? I assume the best thing to do would be to pose the question of which programs would be best for me in the "Geek" part of this site.

Sorry this is so long. I wish I would have followed through when I started learning about all that web design stuff back in the day. When I was in college, I didn't do any internships because I was always making up classes in summer school and during the rest of the year I couldn't do one because it took all my effort just to get through school.

Jason

·
Registered
364 Posts
if you're sure you can earn by freelance writing (i'm personally not sure, but that's irrelevant), i don't see why health insurance is a big issue?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I don't believe freelance writing would earn me enough money. There is another factor I failed to mention. I would like to get a job where I am not isolated. This goes against everything an sa'er looks for but I know that if I'm forced to be around people there is a chance I might make some friends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts