Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking this semester off and looking for a job. Usually I'll take Vyvanse(adderall) and go out about an hour later when it kicks into my system. I'm much more outgoing and sociable but then this feeling dies off quickly and I go into extreme focus mode (even worse than SA without the vyvanse). I also take 20mg Prozac, I don't think it does anything after 2 months of taking it, maybe it helps depression.

So here are my medicine options:
Vyvanse
Prozac
Alcohol.....lol

Not that I want to be an alcoholic, but maybe one drink before I go out will relieve that slight anxious edge. I love how I am on Vyvanse but the euphoric outgoing effects wear off too quickly >_<.

For tomorrow I'm thinking I'll double up on Vyvanse to 60mg (I'm taking the smallest dose, 30mg now) and try and continue without the assistance of alcohol. Of course I don't want to be reliant on alcohol so hopefully doubling up on the dose works.

Anyone have any experience with Vyvanse and SA?

· Registered
679 Posts
Vyvanse is an extended release form of d-amphetamine (dexedrine).
Adderall is a mixture of about 25% l-amphetamine and 75% d-amphetamine.

If your anxiety or depression is interfering with your functioning then you need to take a look at trialing some more SSRIs/SNRI/s or maybe benzos. Stimulants are terrible at managing depression and anxiety because like you stated, you just cycle from 'up' to 'down' which can quickly become even more exhausting and de-motivating than just dealing with a constant state of depression.

FYI I have taken dexedrine many times. It makes me really anxious and irritable. Adderall is pretty fantastic for my SA although it also makes me more anxious and then really depressed during the constant crashes.

Its not intelligent to be trying to use alcohol as a 'medication' unless you have already tried everything else on the face of the earth.

· Registered
110 Posts
Maybe you should try a different SSRI. Paxil really helps me with my SA.
I have tried Prozac - I found it to be pretty stimulating as in making "to do" lists and cleaning my apartment, etc.. but it didn't help much with SA. Also , 20 mgs is a pretty low dose(depending on your height and weight and other factors of course). But if I were you I would try some different SSRI's or SNRI's. Then if that doesn't work go for something else like benzos, etc.

Don't worry - you'll find a combination of meds that work for you. Just keep trying. And good luck with the job search.:squeeze

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.