Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know how job applications ask for references? If you have no friends and such, what do you put down?

I was at the career center (part of welfare program) here yesterday and they asked for references and I said besides my mom I don't really have anyone to put down. I think this looked really, really bad...besides having no work experience. They asked if I had any other family or anything, and I just had to say no (rest of family doesn't bother with us, grandparents are dead, father is an alcoholic). They also asked why I have never worked and I mentioned having some anxiety, maybe some depression, lack of driving, having to take care of my mother the last few years. I told them I've been feeling more confident and wanting to take more chances and get out there more, but I think having no references = no social life = means I still have issues.

So they asked me to come back next week for the disabled work program. :( I asked about getting job training or a spot in one of the vocational schools, and I even brought a list of the programs I searched online that I was interested in so it would look like I really wanted to get training and schooling to find a job, but I don't think they are going to give that to me.

I felt pretty bad that with a conversation that lasted only around 5 minutes this woman could determine I wasn't ready for working or training... since you know, I was feeling confident going there and that was a blow that brought back all the SA thoughts, lol.

So, I guess if you read all that, my second question is what can I say to the career counselor that I'm ready to take a chance working and going to school? I'm worried I might say things to make it worse (since saying anxiety, depression made it bad already).. The truth is I NEED to take these high risks since some of you might remember I'm in a rough situation at home where I will need to be moving out within a year or so and I'll need to support myself... but I think saying that to them will make it worse (they'll look at the issues at home as a problem)...

·
Severed member
2,972 Posts
Do you have any close family with a different last name? For references, Ive used my mom(diff last name), 2 neighbors that I was on a friendly level with, and even my moms insurance agent.

For the career counselor, you might tell them the truth and ask what they recommend. Though, try not to get too personal about yourself. They might suggest a part time entry level job to get your foot in the door while still reserving time for school.
Who knows but this is a great step to take and good to hear youre getting out there! :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.