Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I am currently working as a substitute teacher. Overall, I like the fact that each day I go to a new school and each day is an adventure. However, this is not what my degrees are in but I'm winging it.

I have received an offer to go on a 6 month contract to either Korea or China to be an ESL ( English as a second language) teacher. All expenses would be paid and it includes an apartment plus my salary.

I have already checked to make sure the company and the offer was legit.

I am undecided if I should take this opportunity. ( As I start my new job at a luxurious Financial Company April 14.)
I know I need to ask a lot of questions.
So, What questions would you ask?
I need some help with this.
Anytihng you got- is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
April

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Is the "luxurious Financial Company" that you start on April 14 a full-time permanent job with benies?

The 6-month contract overseas sounds like an interesting adventure and may be a once-in-a-lifetime dealy, but I wouldn't ruin any potential you might have with that place on April 14.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
If the "luxurious Financial Company" job is something you want, full time, and well-paid, then it sounds like the pretty clear winner.

Such a job probably comes with decent vacation time -- you can plan a trip to the East for your first vacation.

Two birds, one stone.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,543 Posts
Assuming you can't do both, it's worth noting that an esl job is very unlikely to pay well, they don't normally. So that's something to consider, if money is a consideration for you. Well that, and how easily you could get another job if you reject this one.

Then again I'm guessing you all ready know what the salary is so... It's only six months which isn't a huge amount of time..

I've come across this channel a couple of times:

Not sure if that video will be of any help.

I don't know what Korea's max visiting time is. You'll want to look into that and whether the company is going to sponsor your visa and stuff. Also from what I've heard, in Korea (unlike in some countries) if you lose your job you lose your visa - but I could be wrong about that.

edit: OK actually what I think it is is your visa is tied up with your offer of employment in Korea, so you need signed permission from said employer to leave their employment and find other work in Korea. So basically if you choose to leave, you'll probably have to leave the country straight away unless you can then apply for like visiting status again.. Not sure if that would work so you'd get to stay there for.. Whatever the max visiting time is without a visa.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I spent 2 years teaching EFL in South Korea. I really loved it. The salary is better there than some other for teaching English- about $2000 a month. Which may seem low, but keep in mind taxes are low, apartment is provided and general cost of living is low. I saved about $15K in a year without really budgeting.

Things to find out:
-Is the visa provided?
-What is your salary and the tax rate?
-How many hours per week? Does this include prep time?
-How many days per week?
-Can you contact someone already working at the school? Google the school itself- there are some you DEFINITELY do not want to go to.
If you do go ahead have all that important info in the contract that you sign. Foreign workers in any country are vulnerable to shady employers.

Good luck whatever you do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts