Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished my degree, and have started applying for jobs. The types of interviews I will be going for will have a panel of about 3 people, and are quite formal. This is exactly the type of situation I panic in - i.e. situations where I have to come up with answers to questions on the spot. My head goes all fuzzy and empty and all I can think is "crap, I have to think of an answer!" I have always thought I would be OK, and that surely I wouldn't panic in such an important situation. But I am starting to worry. I have certainly panicked in bad situations before, e.g. while giving a presentation, while on clinical placement at a hospital etc. So I don't know how things will work out...

I'm just rambling, but yeah, has anyone else had similar problems, or do people want to share interview experiences/tips? Has anyone actually panicked in an interview before? What should you say if it happens? See, I can't panic and have it go unnoticed. It will stop me from being able to talk, and I will probably end up crying. Such a wimp.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have just finished my degree, and have started applying for jobs. The types of interviews I will be going for will have a panel of about 3 people, and are quite formal. This is exactly the type of situation I panic in - i.e. situations where I have to come up with answers to questions on the spot. My head goes all fuzzy and empty and all I can think is "crap, I have to think of an answer!" I have always thought I would be OK, and that surely I wouldn't panic in such an important situation. But I am starting to worry. I have certainly panicked in bad situations before, e.g. while giving a presentation, while on clinical placement at a hospital etc. So I don't know how things will work out...

I'm just rambling, but yeah, has anyone else had similar problems, or do people want to share interview experiences/tips? Has anyone actually panicked in an interview before? What should you say if it happens? See, I can't panic and have it go unnoticed. It will stop me from being able to talk, and I will probably end up crying. Such a wimp.
Try and stay calm. It's not easy but if you relax and take deep breaths before you go in, that should calm you a little bit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
yes & it's a *****. I just googled the top 100 questions of interviews and I typed out an answer to each. That way I was prepared.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an epic 3 hr interview today with 6 different people(not all at the same time). I had no idea it was going to be like that, if I had, I probably would have hightailed it out of there.
I fumbled some sentences, had difficulty explaining myself and work experience etc. Also, the strange paranoia that the people interviewing me were smarter than me and them thinking I was stupid for fumbling over my words.
Anyway, after what seemed like a CIA interrogation, I was absolutely mentally and emotionally drained. I've felt like a zombie all day, and have been beating myself up for what I shoulda/coulda said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remember that everyone gets nervous in interviews and the interview panel knows that. They're not going to expect you to be calm and relaxed.

Different strategies work for different people. It's important to be confident - go into the interview knowing you can do the job, that you'd be perfect for the job and now you have the opportunity to show them. I can fake being quite friendly and chatty, so I use that to my advantage. My mind often goes blank when I'm put on the spot and I say that upfront instead of pretending it doesn't happen. Usually I'll say something like "Sorry, my mind's gone completely blank! I suppose that's what happens in interviews... just give me a second." By that point, I've given myself a few more seconds to come up with an answer, and I personally think it looks better than just stalling and saying "Um...." It doesn't work for everyone though. With practice, you'll find techniques that work for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The best thing you can do is to create a list of questions that you are likely to be confronted with, frame your answers using the tried and true Situation, Action, Results format, and then practice, practice, and practice articulating your responses in real-time. If you can, see if you can find someone to do mock interviews with you.

I have found that my anxiety level in interviews is inversely proportional to the amount of time that I have spent preparing.

Also, try to think of yourself as a consultant who has the solutions for the problems that they currently have. This will put the context and focus of the interview on how you are the right person to solve their problems.

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
Spending time preparing for the interview, really anything that keeps me busy, helps. Study typical interview questions. Plan how I'll describe previous work I've done or related course work. Review technical topics that might come up. Research the company, their competition, the industry as a whole. If I know who is interviewing me I'll try to learn as much as I can about them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an epic 3 hr interview today with 6 different people(not all at the same time). I had no idea it was going to be like that, if I had, I probably would have hightailed it out of there.
I fumbled some sentences, had difficulty explaining myself and work experience etc. Also, the strange paranoia that the people interviewing me were smarter than me and them thinking I was stupid for fumbling over my words.
Anyway, after what seemed like a CIA interrogation, I was absolutely mentally and emotionally drained. I've felt like a zombie all day, and have been beating myself up for what I shoulda/coulda said.
And another job slips out of my grasp. I was told that "it didn't feel like I had enough ambition to come in and drive to improve things."
How the f*** do you express ambition in an interview? Do a little song and dance?
Thanks SAD
FML

·
Hold on
86 Posts
I have to start looking for a job soon and I'm terrified of interviews. I completely understand where you are coming from. Find out interview questions and figure out how you would answer them. My therapist and husband have also helped me to do mock interviews. What I've been doing lately is pretending I'm at an interview answering questions aloud. I know it sounds silly talking to yourself, but you should try it. By visualizing yourself in the situation you're better at adjusting to it when the time comes.

·
Team Bob #10
1,388 Posts
Great post, Tony 0306! I will bookmark that to read over and over before my next interview. :clap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts