Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call this morning from a guy who owns a financial company and said somebody recomended me to him. Im not sure what the job entitles but im assuming ill have to speak with his clients down the road.

my question is should i tell him about my SAD or just go with the flow?

let me know what you think :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can wing a short conversation, but as far as building a relationship with a client or having a fluent long conversation i struggle.

i was thinkin if i tell him bout it then maybe he'll give me a roll where i have less interactions with people.

thanks for the reply bro, apreciate it

·
Registered
126 Posts
If a question comes up about your weaknesses, I would guess it's OK to say that your skills need work in that area. If the job requires building client relationships, you may want to ask about any training that you can participate in to sharpen those skills.

I would not use words like "social anxiety disorder". Employers don't need to know that; they just need to know what skills you have and what skills you are interested in developing. Good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you do decide to tell him, say that you're workig on improving it and give a few examples of how you are doing that
(seeing a therapist, goal setting, speaking to a new person everyday, etc)

and also say what progress you have made so far
("i am a lot more comfortable around people now and have a confidence that i dodnt have before" or "i have managed to introduce myself to a new person everyday, which is a huge acheivment for me as i would not have been able to do this last year, etc, etc, etc).

Also say that although it is difficult for me, i am committed and working hard to improve my SA.

Saying this puts you in a good light and puts a positive spin on SA. It Tells the employer that you are commited and hard working and also shows that you are someone that does something to improve a situation.

Hope this helps, if it helps, i got a merit in my work experience class... I would have gotten a distinction but we had to do two presentations and three roleplays...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts