Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever been to one? There is one this Friday at the university I graduated from and I'm debating on whether to go or not. There has been two job fairs I could have gone to before after my graduation, but I never had the courage to go. I just don't know what to say or do if I go. I hate going up to people I don't know and then having to "sell" myself in less than 5 minutes. I've researched most of the companies that are going to be there and it doesn't look like there's much I qualify for. I've been unemployed for almost 6 months now so I feel like this is my last resort.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been to university job fairs in the past with mixed results.
They always made me very nervous as well. I do think job fairs are a better venue for extroverts to find a job.

That said, I think it is worth going. Even if you don't speak with anyone you can size up the job market and confirm your like/dislike of certain companies and positions. That is progress even if you don't walk away with a job or interview (The possibility of finding a job exists too)

At the minimum you'll probably wind up with some company embossed pens and stationary....

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,975 Posts
They're good if you're not anxious about taking free stuff. Other than that they seem pretty pointless.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been to two. Not easy from an anxiety standpoint, because it's usually crowded and some of the recruiters are aggressive (on my second time, one of them started talking to me in the stairs leading up to the room where the fair was... then made me follow him to their booth to demonstrate their product...).

It's an okay way to show interest in a company and quickly apply to a bunch. I didn't really have to "sell myself" at all, I mostly just gave my resume to companies that interested me, and that was it. It felt like they were trying to sell themselves more than the other way around. Remember, they're here because they want to hire people. Just make sure you don't accidentally apply for a job you don't want (they seem to take the slightest sign of interest as an official job application).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies you all! :) I will definitely take all that advice into consideration. I decided to go and see what its all about.

·
Registered
129 Posts
^^good for you. That takes a lot of courage and even if you don't actually talk to any of the recruiters, just taking a look around is a big step. I graduated about a month ago, but haven't even been looking for a job. Like yourself, I suspect it will be a few months. If you haven't already, be sure to watch Post Grad. You might relate. Then again, that was a movie. Real life is often much worse. let us know how the fair goes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^good for you. That takes a lot of courage and even if you don't actually talk to any of the recruiters, just taking a look around is a big step. I graduated about a month ago, but haven't even been looking for a job. Like yourself, I suspect it will be a few months. If you haven't already, be sure to watch Post Grad. You might relate. Then again, that was a movie. Real life is often much worse. let us know how the fair goes.
So I ended up going and it wasn't so bad. I guess it helped that I had two friends there who were also looking for a job, and I could vent out anything to them. I did apply to a few places. Most of the recruiters wanted to keep conversations short and succinct since a lot of people were there, which was absolutely fine by me. There was only one company that made me feel uncomfortable because the recruiters didn't seem to want to explain anything to me. So I just thanked them and left their booth. Luckily on that same day, I finally got a call back for the data entry job I applied to last month at my university's financial aid office. I have an in-person interview tomorrow morning and I really hope I get it.

I have seen Post Grad back when it first came out. I agree, it is just a movie and is nothing compared to real life.

·
ugly ****
7,763 Posts
job fair is totally overrated, i guess it depends on your major, im studying finance and its like you had really good conversation leave your all contacts and never hear from them again. those people are only here because they work for the hr department -_-

·
Registered
129 Posts
So I ended up going and it wasn't so bad. I guess it helped that I had two friends there who were also looking for a job, and I could vent out anything to them. I did apply to a few places. Most of the recruiters wanted to keep conversations short and succinct since a lot of people were there, which was absolutely fine by me. There was only one company that made me feel uncomfortable because the recruiters didn't seem to want to explain anything to me. So I just thanked them and left their booth. Luckily on that same day, I finally got a call back for the data entry job I applied to last month at my university's financial aid office. I have an in-person interview tomorrow morning and I really hope I get it.

I have seen Post Grad back when it first came out. I agree, it is just a movie and is nothing compared to real life.
congrats again. You're lucky to have two friends there for support. I hope you get some call backs from the places you applied. Good luck on your interview and please do keep us posted. That would really suck if they didn't hire you, being a former student and all. hahah. I was just thinking of applying for a job at my old university myself - janitor. I thought about this and how weird and awkward it would be if one of my old professors or classmates saw me, but then again, nobody really knew me while I was there anyways. Who would I be worried about seeing me there?

arrgghhh....each day painfully passes by and I'm disgusted at myself for not looking for a job. =(

·
Registered
129 Posts
job fair is totally overrated, i guess it depends on your major, im studying finance and its like you had really good conversation leave your all contacts and never hear from them again. those people are only here because they work for the hr department -_-
Absolutely. I really hate it when they tell you to just apply online. Why are they even there when all they tell you to do is apply online? Just a bunch of HR staff putting in hours. I've even heard sometimes HR people interview people knowing they won't hire them; some sort of protocol thingy or just to make them look like they're working. I hate HR people, I really do.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Trade shows IMHO are better than job fairs because people doing the actual work or people with real hiring power trying to gage industry trends (such as middle and upper management) are there. Of course, they aren't really there looking to hire people, but out of discussions come networking for those who know how to swim.

You almost have to do a lot of research and show up to the trade show and feign interest in subject matter, or keep on attending them to copy the way people in certain trades speak or parrot stuff, and hope you run into a mogul and strike up a convo.

One of my former bosses who had no experience in the industry and was unemployed at the time showed up to a trade show, talked to some VPs of my company, and next thing you know she was my boss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts