Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the length, I just wanted to get all the details down so people could give me their honest opinion on the situation.

So I was interviewed for a position at a small electronics store almost two weeks ago. It actually went really well. The hiring manager was really young, probably mid 20s, so the interview seemed really casual. I was hired a couple days later and told to come back the following week for training.

When I came back, the manager seemed like a different person. It was like he had a split personality. He was still super friendly at times, but then he'd suddenly seem all stressed and snap at people for no apparent reason. (This worries me because I don't handle criticism well, especially when it's deliberately mean) He was also really disorganized (took him literally over 30 minutes to find my information and all the forms I needed to fill out.) He would talk about some of the employees behind their back too. He literally told me that some of the workers were really stupid and that they'd been there forever but still didn't know how to do anything.

So I was sent onto the sales floor with no real instructions other than to greet people and ask them if they needed help. It was kind of pointless since if they did need help, I wouldn't have any idea where anything was. The manager just seemed sort of unprepared overall, like he didn't really know how to train people or anything. At the end of the shift, he told me to call him the following day for my employee ID so I could sign up for shifts.

I call the next day, and he completely snaps my head of, saying that he couldn't get me an ID number because I didn't fill out a certain form. (I filled out every form he gave me, my guess is that HE forgot to give me the form since he was so disorganized.) But anyway, I go in, fill out the form and then I'm told to call again a few days later. When I call back, I'm told that he hasn't had the time to get me my number yet, so I still can't sign up for shifts. I just called again yesterday, and they STILL apparently haven't had the time to get me my number.

Now I'm having second thoughts about this job. The manager is completely unprofessional and disorganized, and clearly doesn't respect his employees. The position is seasonal, so I don't know if it's worth torturing myself for a job that ends in 2 months. So the point of all this is, should I just stop calling alltogether and let them call me if they want to? I don't really care about working for them anymore, so if they don't call it's no loss. Or should I just tough it out for the sake of some extra money and experience?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, this is for all the TL;DR people, because I really would appreciate some input.

Basically I was hired for a seasonal position. The manager seemed nice during the interview, but when I came back for training he seemed rude, completely disorganized and unprepared to properly train. He even badmouthed other employees to me.I've been officially hired but haven't had any shifts scheduled yet because I need to be assigned an ID number. I was told to call on three separate occasions and he was very brief and kind of rude, saying he hasn't had time to get it done yet. So, since this job is seasonal, should I waste my time or just never call them again?

·
slave
4,382 Posts
If you're really in that bad of a financial wreck, then yes, I'd call them. However, if you see this job being nothing but absolute hell for you and if you think your mental health weighs far more greater value than your financial health, then I wouldn't bother calling.

·
Pobody's Nerfect
330 Posts
I'd keep calling and bugging him. First that shows you want to work, Next it shows you are assertive. And this will be a good job for your anxiety. You will get used to talking to random people and its only 2 months, once its over you can find another job or whatever

1 - 4 of 4 Posts