Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know what's going on with me lately... i have this one friend whom is really really important to me. she's the one person i see eye-to-eye with. i've known her for about 4 years, and she's been really patient about me coming around. it took me along time to open up to her. but now that i am, she is extremely important to me... as i am important to her(but probably on as much)... guess you could say she's like the sister God forgot to give me... but anyways, we're in high school, and we were at one of her track meets and she wandered off to go hang out with a few of her track buddies... usually this doesn't bother me, but that day it did... i don't know why, but i was feeling replaced... it was an overwhelming sensation i've never had before. it was really weird, and i couldn't overcome it, so i was forced to walk home. she didn't think anything of it, but i still want to know what in the world that was, why it happend, and how do i stop that from happening next time?(p.s.-no, i'm not gay... thats weird.... i don't like her in that sense... more in the best friend, sister sense) please, please help...

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
You probably feel a little rejected because she's so important to you especially if you don't have that many friends. You might be a tad clingy to her, but I think in order to overcome this you have to realize that she is still going to be your best friend no matter who she talks to. Just because she's talking to other girls doesn't mean that your connection with each other is going to be any less. She is going to socialize, but she will still come back to you at the end of the day.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I think it's not unnatural to feel a bit possessive of your close friend, but, as you say, you don't want to feel overwhelming jealousy. I'm not really sure what advice to offer you, but here's my story: I used to be extremely, uncontrollably, powerfully jealous of my first boyfriend, so much so that if he even said another girl was pretty I'd be furious, I'd hate her and be horibble to him. I didn't like it, but couldn't control it.

Fast forward a few years and I had got out of that dyfunctional relationship, I was working and supporting myself and had applied to university. My new boyfriend thought that jealousy was a nonsense, didn't suffer from it himself. Just being with him, and being more confident in myself kind of made me see that I didn't have to be jealous, and it just fell away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last year I got to know a friend who helped me overcome one part of my SA and I got on with him really well and had a lot of fun but he had another best friend which he had known for years and I got really jealous of that and it's really not a pleasant feeling. I don't wanna go on about everything that happened but in the end that jealousy and clingyness put our friendship under too much pressure and it ended for good.

You have to sort the jealously feelings out or they could end the friendship if you let it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know what you mean, austin... thats why i've never said a word about it to anyone, and when it comes over me, i just kinda blend in or leave... but i really want to stop having to do that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts