Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I yawn, open mouth to eat etc.. it just locks up so Im stuck with my mouth wide open. Its painful to close because I sometimes have to physically knock it back shut with my hand or force it to 'click' back. Ive noticed Ive had it for a couple of years now but recently its become a real problem. Anyone else have this? Im scared to tell the doctor because it just sounds weird. lol.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Sounds like TMJ. My jaw pops, so I got diagnosed with TMJ but never got treatment because it was never really worth it. But my jaw has locked open a few times before.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx this sounds alot like whats happening.
It really doesnt take much for my jaw to lock lately. I dont even have to open that wide! It just gets stuck! It used to happen maybe once every couple of months, but now its almost everyday! Im getting embarrassed when it happens in public and the pain is horrible, almost like a pinched nerve. Is treatment really not worth it?

I might also mention my hip joint is not great either. Sometimes my leg pops out of the socket and I 'click' it back in, I also get the same horrible pain when that happens. I thought that might be related to being born with a 'clicky hip'.. whatever that means.

But its just strange that both those parts, hip and jaw, feel like they dislocate and I have to physically knock em back in!
I feel like tinman from the wizard of oz sometimes!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohh now im definately going to ask the doc about this, because I get migraines alot, and I see they can be caused by this.

·
SAS Membr
1,082 Posts
My jaw does that too. It only happens if I yawn though. I have to make sure that my mouth doesn't open very wide whenever I do yawn. It's pretty painful if I don't.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
I think your case sounds like it should be checked out. Though the scary thing is that surgery is the only real way to get it fixed and sometimes even the surgery won't fix it. My jaw just cracks a little bit if I shift the lower jaw to the side so I just avoid doing that. I think it's pretty common for the jaw to 'pop' though. Locking so frequently is another story..

I'm scared to go to the dentist just because they make you open your mouth wide and I just can't physically do it.

·
Shauna The Dead
6,389 Posts
My jaw's been popping lately... I know it's cause of my cross-bite :( Damn doctor that delivered me...I think that ******* caused it, using those forceps to pull me out... damn doctors get in too big of a hurry, all they care about is getting their nice big paycheck.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I've never had my jaw actually lock, but my dentist said it could because of the popping that happens when I yawn.

His suggestion was while you're yawning to try and touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth. It will help to keep your mouth from opening as wide, and hopefully save you from self-inflicted blows to the jaw.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
My ex had this problem on occasion. :um It sucked. It was mainly my fault though.
Were you so boring that she yawned a lot? Or were you responsible for clocking her in the jaw as necessary?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didnt know it was so common! Hmm sounds like theres not much that can be done for it.

My ex had this problem on occasion. :um It sucked. It was mainly my fault though.
I knew this would come up at some time. lol

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
lol TP. Friend of mine had this problem, his was bad though, he had to drive 30km to the hospital with his mouth locked open to get it sorted out. Not sure what the deal was after but I will ask him and see what he says.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I had this happen every time I yawned. My jaw would lock open then I had to force it shut. It only pops out now and straight back in.

I was seeing a chiropractor for various reasons and had him look at it. He actually fixed it for a while. Then I stopped going and it has come back.

I just figured it was from sport, copping elbows to the head.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
my sister had something similar, said it was really painful. She had an operation for it in the end and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm starting to develop this TMJ. Haven't had a lockup yet, but all of a sudden, it clicks when I chew.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts