Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm obviously concerned about physical addiction. Right now, I'm going through a really rough period of my life and I feel like I need something to help with the anxiety and (at times) extreme agitation. Does anybody have any links to more information about habituation and addiction to this drug. I don't think I'll be on it for a long time (no longer than a month).

ETA: I take 1-2 mg. a day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
worrying about addiction is overated. Although im not the type to get really addicted to meds, I mean Ive quit klonopin many times and never really had any problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been taking it for over 10 years on an as need basis. If I would take it all the time I started to not feel the effects anymore. My doc only gives me 30 1mg tabs for 60 days. So I have to be careful with them. The irony(if you would call it that) is she won't give me more unless I go back on other meds. My arguement was "well obviously the other meds don't work as well if you'll give me more clonazepam" I don't think I am addicted at all, but, they do improve my quality of life.:D

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Physical tolerance is inevitable if you take clonzaepam for long enough (I don't know the specifics about how long it takes to build tolerance). The longer you take clonzapem and the higher the dosage you take, the longer it will take to wean off. You will likely have to go down in very small increments in order to avoid withdrawal. So the withdrawal process, while long, isn't necessarily painful, as long as you stick to a plan. You just have to wean off very slowly (or so i have read).

People with genuine anxiety/panic disorder are not likely to abuse klonopin. The reason doctors are so careful about prescribing it is they want to avoid giving it away to someone who is just looking for a "high." They will also be extra careful about prescribing it to someone with a history of drug abuse. If you have no history of drug addiction, and are truly suffering with anxiety (which it sounds like you are) then klonopin may be the best option for you and may provide much needed relief. It is less addictive than xanax by the way.

I started taking klonopin about a month ago. I feel it has helped me some. My doc just raised the dosage to 1 mg twice a day which I'm hoping will help even more. I'm still new to benzos so I have no definite opinions so far. I can just go on what I have read.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I've been taking it for over 10 years on an as need basis. If I would take it all the time I started to not feel the effects anymore. My doc only gives me 30 1mg tabs for 60 days. So I have to be careful with them. The irony(if you would call it that) is she won't give me more unless I go back on other meds. My arguement was "well obviously the other meds don't work as well if you'll give me more clonazepam" I don't think I am addicted at all, but, they do improve my quality of life.:D
If you take it every 2 days, you are probably dependent on it by now due to its long half-life.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
And I'm obviously concerned about physical addiction. Right now, I'm going through a really rough period of my life and I feel like I need something to help with the anxiety and (at times) extreme agitation. Does anybody have any links to more information about habituation and addiction to this drug. I don't think I'll be on it for a long time (no longer than a month).

ETA: I take 1-2 mg. a day.
Source: From Fatigued to Fantastic!

When used at doses of less than 1 to 2 milligrams at night, we've seen no problem with addiction.
Because it is potentially addictive, do not suddenly stop taking Klonopin if you have been on it for more than six weeks.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I use to take 2mg everyday but I am reducing my dosage because I need to feel some anxiety or my mouth will get me in trouble lol

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I use to take 2mg everyday but I am reducing my dosage because I need to feel some anxiety or my mouth will get me in trouble lol
Interesting strategy ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been taking it for maybe six weeks or so now averaging about 2 times per week of use at about 2mg each day that I use it. Sometimes I take 1 mg early in the day and the next 1 mg several hours later. Sometimes I take all 2mg at once. I don't ever intend to take it every day.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I don't ever intend to take it every day.
And that's a great strategy. :)

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I've been taking it for maybe six weeks or so now averaging about 2 times per week of use at about 2mg each day that I use it. Sometimes I take 1 mg early in the day and the next 1 mg several hours later. Sometimes I take all 2mg at once. I don't ever intend to take it every day.
Limiting use to 2 days every week is a very sustainable regimen. This way tolerance won't build but it will maintain its efficacy via clonazepam's long half life. I recommend taking 1mg in the morning and then 1mg at night - this way you get 4 full days (!) of clonazepam's anxiolysis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts