Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go to Evansville Indiana with my cousin to eat at buffalo wild wings. Well to start off I had my prescription medication for Klonopin on me. After we ate he went to go get gas......well a guy came up to the vehicle and asked for a ride. We decided we would help him.

After we start driving he tells us hhow he has valium and other things.....turns out he's a drug dealer. I stupidly think "well valium is the same type of drug that Klonopin is and I could buy some and have extra medication. So I buy 4 10mg ones off him, and then as we are getting ready to drop him off a cop pulls out in front of us because my cousin is driving sloppy.

Well he recognizes the guy with us and pulls us out of our vehicle and searches me and finds the valium. He also finds the same in a much larger amount on the other guy. I try to explain that it treats my medical problem just like my medication does but of course that doesn't matter.

He cuffs me and I spend the next 5 days in jail scared for my life and looking for ways to kill myself in my cell but keep telling myself ill go to hell if I do cause im christian. My cell mate was the only thing protecting me from the other inmates and I finally did get out on $250 bond.

I did court proceedings and was charged with possession and said I would be able to hire an attorney. Well my court day is the 10th of this month and I don't know what to do.....I know what I did was stupid and serious but I can't go back to jail......and I don't even live in Indiana......I live in Illinois and its an hour drive to go to court.

What should I do? Its my first offence in that state and the only thing I got before was a dui in Illinois 3 years ago. I don't want to kill myself and I don't want to go to jail or be miserable but I've really messed up......please someone help me.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
I don't know their laws exactly or the current state of their judiciary system but it is highly unlikely that you will get jail time for that. I'm taking into account that it is your first offense. For sure get a good lawyer though, depending on the situation if the cop didn't properly follow all procedures your lawyer may be able to get you off not guilty. good luck man.

Yeah always remember that if you carry pills with you only have your own pills that were prescribed to you in the bottle that they came in. Well, I'm sure you won't forget that now anyways, just a reminder to everyone else.

Yeah, get a good lawyer and you'll be fine don't stress it, it's not worth it.

When I was 19 I got myself into a first-time shoplifting jam for stealing a six-pack. I was ridiculously worried until my trial date. I ended up doing a court deferment program so in the end I wasn't even charged and it is not on my record or anything.

Hold your head up, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
represent yourself and be a man and explain you made a terrible mistake. the time you did spend in jail really opened your eyes. and yeah, if you do require that medication, bring a letter from the doctor or shrink. lawyers are only good for citing historical laws to leverage litigation. in fact they dont do much of that either. they have legal assistants that do it for them. rep yourself and learn from your mistakes

·
Lost in deep thought...
491 Posts
if your christian and kill yourself.you won't go to hell.I'm not saying you should kill yourself, but you wouldn't go to hell.If I were older I would had helped you, but as you see on my profile that I'm 14, so I can't even do anything.

·
c'est la vie
664 Posts
Seems to me if you explained your situation to the judge and could back it up with real facts then he'd have to let you off with just a warning.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
represent yourself and be a man and explain you made a terrible mistake. the time you did spend in jail really opened your eyes. and yeah, if you do require that medication, bring a letter from the doctor or shrink. lawyers are only good for citing historical laws to leverage litigation. in fact they dont do much of that either. they have legal assistants that do it for them. rep yourself and learn from your mistakes
That is a horrible idea. My brother was in a similar situation as yours and if he had not spent $300 on a defense attorney he would have spent a year in jail.

A lawyer will be able to get access to all of the case info and will know exactly what to do and how to do it. A doctor's note saying that valium is similar to klonopin and it makes sense for you to take it won't help you at all. The fact is you illegally bought purchased and possessed prescription drugs. You need a lawyer ASAP. I have known many people in drug trouble with the law. I realize that laws are different in Indiana, but trying to "be a man" and represent yourself the worst case scenario will happen because the fact is you are not a lawyer, plus if you have social anxiety, chances are you will be anxious as hell arguing for your freedom to the judge, questioning the cop who arrested you, etc. Good luck man. Do it the right way and it'll be smooth sailing.

Again, from everything I know about law, the above suggested idea is the absolute worst thing you could do, it is like showing up to a gun fight with both of your hands freshly cut off and still bleeding.

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
Yah get a lawyer and be honest. Man in Canada only the seller would get busted, you can have any prescription drug in small amounts for personal use. Only the sellers get busted. I doubt you will go to jail for 4 lousy pills. I doubt the judge wants to send you to a crowded jail when the spot can be used for a real criminal.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Quit being a *****. And man up you soldier.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Quit being a *****. And man up you soldier.
What is that supposed to mean? I think The OP should have gotten on top of this immediately after being released on a bond, get a lawyer and all of his worries may have gone away if thee was a faulty search or something.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Be honest. Spill your heart out to them. Tell them you struggle in life as it is and that it was just a mistake. Explain that you aren't a druggy and that it was your first time ever buying drugs from someone. Tell them you weren't looking to "score" but that your friend picked up the hitchhiker and only after the fact, did you find out he was a drug dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be far to difficult for me to talk one on one with the judge and use the right wording without my SA tripping me up. Im going to try and ask for an extension for time to get a good lawyer. When the time arrives to go to court I will pop some Klonopins to suppress some of my anxiety. I just pray and hope I get off easy because I really can't handle jail or to much more right now. My SA was already real bad and messing me up at work before I got in trouble.

Oh and now I have to talk to my boos first thing tomorrow to try and save my job. I will also be taking some Klonopin for that soon to come conversation that I will be having with him over the phone.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
you are probably going to get community service, but not jail-time.

I would be asking your doctor about increasing your dosage or supply/quantity rather than buying them off the street. If you don't have enough to get you through the month, discuss that with your doctor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the thing is I can't afford to do community service in Indiana.......because I live in Illinois. I mean I go to evansville to have a good time out and then go home. And I have to be drove their because I can't drive. Its just a very bad situation for some that suffers from SA. I wish I never did it but I wasn't thinking clearly and thought it was just a petty thing and it was just to help me with my anxiety when I bought them.

I wasn't abusing or looking to get high or anything......a got them for my medical problems.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
No, they can transfer your community service over to your area. I had to do community service once in MS when I had committed a crime in LA. They'll help you most likely.

I wouldn't tell your doctor about the ordeal but I might discuss with him your situation with benzos if you don't have enough to last, unless he is one of those anti-benzos types.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Get your docter to prescribe u the same medication. If you got a legal script for it just say you left your pill container at home. Law is a business. it all about the money. Get medical docter notes saying you got a condition and your premited to use the medication. Maybe they will be leanant.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
You gotta go in there and be honest judges are trained to detected bs if they can see the good within ya maybe ya can get off with a warning or something. Fear and being scared is your biggest enemy.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Why didn't ya swallow the pills befor getting busted? Wouldn't that be the smart thing to do?

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
Get your docter to prescribe u the same medication. If you got a legal script for it just say you left your pill container at home. Law is a business. it all about the money. Get medical docter notes saying you got a condition and your premited to use the medication. Maybe they will be leanant.
it's not like elementary school, a "doctor's note" doesn't cut it when being judged for a crime, this is much different than cutting class. It is absolutely ridiculous that people are recommending such poor legal advice.

Nor is Law and lawyers all about making money as was said. It is a serious charge that needs serious attention. It's not the end of the world but nor is it a laughing matter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts