Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the doctors last week and finally was diagnosed. It took years to gain the courage to do this for myself. The shame built up so much I rarely left my house. Progress is finally being made!

**Adult ADD (Inattentive type)

**Generalized Anxiety Disorder

**Social Anxiety Disorder

We're going over medication and he's talked about this combo. I want to see if anyone here has experience with either of these drugs:

-Adderall XR
-Klonopin

This surprised me a bit as I was expecting an SSRI. I'm actually relieved, I didn't want to take an SSRI at all. We haven't yet talked about dosages but will on Thursday.

I do, however, have a concern about long term use of Klonopin. Are withdrawals as bad as some people say (ie., as bad/worse than heroin withdrawal)?

Is this an uncommon mix? Each drug seems like they would work against eachother as they are really polar opposites.

Thanx! :D

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Yes, benzo withdrawals are qualitatively worse and also more dangerous than heroin withdrawals.

It's not an unheard of combo, but I find it a bit worrying that the doctor considers it a first-line treatment.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Consider yourself lucky: With Adderall (XR) + Klonopin (taken as needed to avoid tolerance & dependence) you have one of the most effective combos for social phobia.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Honestly, you'd have to take it pretty damn infrequently to avoid tolerance and dependence. Even with a PRN script, he's almost definitely going to deal with it.
How often is "pretty damn infrequently" for you? ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
meyaj, not true. I've been on Clonazepam PRN for 6 years and I haven't built tolerance nor suffered withdrawals when I take breaks ......and I don't think I am the only exception to your theory.

Benzodiazepines are actually really safe drugs for anxiety. People just have to be sensible with their meds.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
meyaj, not true. I've been on Clonazepam PRN for 6 years and I haven't built tolerance nor suffered withdrawals when I take breaks ......and I don't think I am the only exception to your theory.

Benzodiazepines are actually really safe drugs for anxiety. People just have to be sensible with their meds.
How often are you taking it?

I spoke a bit incorrectly yesterday. Tolerance usually isn't an issue when people are using their medication properly... the anxiolytic effects don't really diminish. But people escalating their doses to get the same level of sedation are definitely going to develop a tolerance.

But yes, 6 years is a pretty long time so you must be taking them on a pretty infrequent basis.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Hey mate, 1 - 2mg PRN along with Effexor XR 150mg.
How often, on average, is PRN for you though? That's the big question. If you need to use it "as needed" almost every day, then you really should have developed a tolerance by now.

If you've managed to use clonazepam for 6 years, sparingly enough to avoid dependence, then that's really good on you. I don't think many people have the knowledge and self-discipline to do that.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Tolerance usually isn't an issue when people are using their medication properly... the anxiolytic effects don't really diminish. But people escalating their doses to get the same level of sedation are definitely going to develop a tolerance.
thats why I use remeron for sleep & depression, and Klonopin for anxiety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts