Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally admitted to myself that I have a problem and I need to do something about treating it.
I am in my 30s and I am not the person I thought I was or wanted to be. I have spent my life avoiding and escaping the issues. I have loved travelling and upon reflection I think I have used the "foreigner" role as an excuse for being by myself. I prefer living in cities because it is easier to live in isolation- no one cares what you do there.
But, I have managed to return to my small home town and found a job at a really good school (I recently graduated as a teacher). Now all my problems have come to the surface. I can no longer use any of the externals as excuses for my weird, silent behaviour.
I came across this forum as I hunt down resources to get through this. I live in a small, regional city which makes accessing resources really difficult.
Thanks for listening.:)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Hey hoyden. Glad to hear you're taking control of the circumstances. For what it's worth, status as a 'foreigner' is probably my favorite thing I've heard of anyone here using to avoid social situations. 'Never leaving the house' seems to have a devoted cult following, but I think I like yours better.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Hoyden welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all that :)

Not speaking the same language is a great excuse for minimising interaction with others. Always being new in town was my reason for having no mates to go to the movies with...

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, Hoyden! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts